You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher too slow with PDF made on Autocad

I opened a pdf that was made on Auto Cad. The Affinity Publisher is very slow and constantly freezing (and it's a small file, the problem is it has a lot of layers). i'm constantly going to Task Manager to close the program...

The computer has 32gb RAM, an Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2678 and a NVIDIA Quadro M2000. I already changed the Perfomance Preferences, and I'm still having the same problem. Is there some othet configuration of the program I should correct?

image.png.3868319584aafca8c7c6f3ebd3429dd0.png

• Staff

Hi Andreia,

You could try changing the view quality dropdown to fastest but this may not make a huge difference, if possible would you be willing to provide a copy of the file in question? If you would rather not post it publicly let me know and I will provide a link to our DropBox.

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

On 5/6/2022 at 3:05 PM, Callum said:

Hi Andreia,

You could try changing the view quality dropdown to fastest but this may not make a huge difference, if possible would you be willing to provide a copy of the file in question? If you would rather not post it publicly let me know and I will provide a link to our DropBox.

Thanks
C

Thank you for your feedback. I change some of the perfomance preferences, and it improved a little bit, but it is still too slow while editing. If you could, please provide the Dropbox link, so I can share this test document. Thank you :)

af.PNG

1 hour ago, LondonSquirrel said:

This is reminiscent of the problem here: 

You may find a few tips and snippets of information worth reading.

Hello. Thank you for this information. I verified one of the solutions suggested was to export the file to eps. . However I need the text to be searchble. So I decided to tried to export to .svg. While editing, RAM usage decreased a lot, but the program stills very very slow and it crashed when I started duplicating pages...

The other solution mentioned is use Illustrator, but I don't have it 😄

I have noticed Designer often slows very much when working with CAD generated PDFs. I guess usually it is because CAD apps generate very large amount of vector objects and Affinity just cant handle such a load, even if the file size looks moderate.

If you know there is something to be done with file structure to ease the problem let us know.

3 hours ago, Fixx said:

I have noticed Designer often slows very much when working with CAD generated PDFs. I guess usually it is because CAD apps generate very large amount of vector objects and Affinity just cant handle such a load, even if the file size looks moderate.

If you know there is something to be done with file structure to ease the problem let us know.

Yes, this is the case. The file has a lot of unnecessary vector objects. I already tried to export with other specifications from Autocad, but the result is always the same :(

image.png.26a3dacad0886b7060704317894a7ae9.png