You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer iPad crashes during calculation intensive processes

I have a project that comprises tens of thousands of small vectors (generated from a half-tone app). When I attempt to expand the vectors into the actual half tone circles to allow me to do a Bolean add, the app crashes unless I keep the number of selected vectors to less than about 2000. I am using the iPad version, and I wonder if I am simply asking too much of the program. Should I be using the PC version?

Hi, depends on your iPad age and generation. PC / Mac have an edge as these support more RAM which is a limiting factor on iPads.

Expand strokes and boolean operators have some issues which could lead to excessive node counts. 

On the other hand, my old iPad outperformed my PC in many situations. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Darn, I was hoping to convince my wife to let me buy a new PC!  The number of selected vectors that leads to a problem seems to be quite consistent, e.g., if I go over 2100 it invariably pops out to the front page of the app, but not to the page that contains the thumbnails of my projects. The issue does seem to get worse as the data and docs associated with AD gets larger so I am routinely removing the app and reloading it to remove files.  Thanks for your input.