You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher ToC / Bookmarks / Anchors

I'm running into two problems I don't know how to sort.

In a long file I set up H1 and H2 (plus a special, section title style) to appear in ToC. H3 was unchecked.

1949299108_Screenshot2022-02-25at10_13_16AM.png.6593e67217a40cf2fed39ff7d210074d.png

Even checking and unchecking "include as PDF bookmarks", all H3 entries were included in the list of anchors.

I decided to try with a new TOC Style, assuming something might have been garbled in the style file. This fixed the H3 style appearing (though why it should, since it clearly was unchecked in the panel is unclear - a bug?).

However, a second problem remains: the list of entries in the anchor panel is out of page order:

335500536_Screenshot2022-02-25at10_36_05AM.png.3b57bc0bc10b1b725c251d3d97a6c95b.png

Note that even the numbered sections (I., IV., ) are out of order.

Is there any solution for this? It seems to be a known bug.

Any insight appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lukc666 and Stokerg,

I'm still new to Affinity Publisher, but issue #2 has been a headache to me as well. Yes, the bookmarks in the published PDF will be in the correct order according to where the anchors really are placed . . . . but the bugger is that in the Anchors panel they are simply listed in Alphanumerical order, so logically out of their real order. Only manner to put Anchors in a visual order in the panel is with leading numbers, but you don't want those in every bookmark name, would be a hassle to clean them out after every publish. 

There have been plenty of complaints about this annoyance but who knows when Affinity will fix it, for us it makes AP impractical for any long structured publication, although fine for short ones that don't need bookmarks. I suppose that AP was not designed for long publications, but it has plenty of other benefits for us so we'll stick with it and I'm sure it will progress over time. 

We evaluated CorelDraw but were scared away by their new owners KKR and a pricey subscription plan that together has angered lots of their users. I searched for "Affinity" on the CorelDraw user forum and discovered that plenty of their long-time users are evaluating or already using a Serif software! We decided not to jump in to that unknown future, and Adobe we won't touch in any manner. We use PDF-XChange Editor instead of Acrobat and are very happy with it. 

I hope the above is useful to you!

Regards, Kevin

On 2/25/2022 at 7:12 PM, stokerg said:

Hi @Lukc666,

Would really need a copy of your afpub file in order to see why H3 was being applied.

For the 2nd issue, the bookmarks should be created in the same order as TOC.  There was a bug a while back where this didn't happen but that was resolved and is no longer an issue.  

Hi, I'm sorry - I got distracted by world events.

I'll test how it works with the most recent update and then see about sharing the file.

On 3/13/2022 at 3:51 PM, Kevin B said:

Hi Lukc666 and Stokerg,

I'm still new to Affinity Publisher, but issue #2 has been a headache to me as well. Yes, the bookmarks in the published PDF will be in the correct order according to where the anchors really are placed . . . . but the bugger is that in the Anchors panel they are simply listed in Alphanumerical order, so logically out of their real order. Only manner to put Anchors in a visual order in the panel is with leading numbers, but you don't want those in every bookmark name, would be a hassle to clean them out after every publish. 

There have been plenty of complaints about this annoyance but who knows when Affinity will fix it, for us it makes AP impractical for any long structured publication, although fine for short ones that don't need bookmarks. I suppose that AP was not designed for long publications, but it has plenty of other benefits for us so we'll stick with it and I'm sure it will progress over time. 

We evaluated CorelDraw but were scared away by their new owners KKR and a pricey subscription plan that together has angered lots of their users. I searched for "Affinity" on the CorelDraw user forum and discovered that plenty of their long-time users are evaluating or already using a Serif software! We decided not to jump in to that unknown future, and Adobe we won't touch in any manner. We use PDF-XChange Editor instead of Acrobat and are very happy with it. 

I hope the above is useful to you!

Regards, Kevin

Yep. I saw the option about using leading numbers, but it's also not really an option for me.

Agree: for small publishing use, afpub is fantastic. It also works very quickly with large files - faster than indesign in my experience.

• 1 year later...

It seems the problem is still there (using v.2.1.1) with anchors in the text: the order of bookmarks in the PDF doesn't follow the order in the text, but the PDF bookmarks are rather ordered alphabetically (like in the anchors panel), which makes no sense.

My current workaround is to create extra boxes on top of the text and add an anchor to each of them, but that's very annoying when the text changes. Also, it doesn't work with a TOC (or it would be even more annoying).