You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tutorials Not Working / Won't Open

I downloaded Affinity Publisher to my 2017 iMac (40GB RAM) recently & have been using the tutorials on the support pages created by Serif.  Today when I went back to using them, I cannot get any of them to open.  Clicking on all of them takes me to a window showing that tutorial that is mostly blank & won't open when clicking on it.  Restarting my iMac & Firefox doesn't help.  I have been using Photos since it was in Beta so am familiar with their software.

You might try on a different browser, @jedorme.

Also, in case you happen to be traveling outside the US and didn't mention it, some parts of the world block the Vimeo site that hosts the tutorials. But here in the US they're working for me.

You can access copies of the tutorials that are available on YouTube by following links in this topic:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

You might try on a different browser, @jedorme.

Also, in case you happen to be traveling outside the US and didn't mention it, some parts of the world block the Vimeo site that hosts the tutorials. But here in the US they're working for me.

You can access copies of the tutorials that are available on YouTube by following links in this topic:

Many thanks for these suggested workarounds.  I did open the Publisher app & clicked on the tutorials box in the opening screen; that brought me to Serif's main page for all tutorials; & these could be opened without any problem.  So I went back to the bookmarked link I had created in Firefox for tutorials & now these tutorials open & work as they should.  I don't know if this was a temporary glitch in Firefox or a quirk in the Big Sur OS in my iMac.  But good to know that coming at them from a different direction can help solve these temporary problems.

1 hour ago, jedorme said:

Clicking on all of them takes me to a window showing that tutorial that is mostly blank & won't open when clicking on it. 

In Firefox if you go to https://affinity.serif.com/tutorials/publisher/desktop/ & (for example) click on the "Studio Presets" tutorial (should be the first one on the page), what happens?

When I try that on my Mac, using the latest 97.0 version of Firefox, the video opens fine in the https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/tutorials/publisher/desktop/video/494075100/ page & I have no problems playing it. Same for every other tutorial. I do not use any Firefox extensions or Themes, but I do not know if that makes any difference.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

In Firefox if you go to https://affinity.serif.com/tutorials/publisher/desktop/ & (for example) click on the "Studio Presets" tutorial (should be the first one on the page), what happens?

When I try that on my Mac, using the latest 97.0 version of Firefox, the video opens fine in the https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/tutorials/publisher/desktop/video/494075100/ page & I have no problems playing it. Same for every other tutorial. I do not use any Firefox extensions or Themes, but I do not know if that makes any difference.

I'm also running Firefox v.97.0, & as noted above, this problem was only a temporary one & now I have no problem accessing the tutorials by any of the avenues taken to get to them.  I also don't use any Firefox extensions or Themes, but the problem may have been due to trying to access them on the page I had bookmarked in the main Bookmarks Toolbar.  Thanks for these added suggestions. 

Now back to work trying to learn this app; fortunately some time ago I was using Adobe InDesign CS3 (which I still have but it won't run on my iMac with Big Sur 64 bit), so most of what I am seeing is looking very familiar.  Just a whole lot faster to do anything with much less complicated means of accomplishing it.  Affinity Publisher looks to me to be what InDesign should have been.  The same reason I gave up on Photoshop & switched to using Affinity Photo for anything I tried to do in PS, & much less expensive as well.  i don't even know what it would have cost to update from ID CS3, but I am certain a whole lot more than $55 USD, & also likely requiring a never ending subscription.