You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exported SVG thumbnails missing (Shaper Origin users need this)

_fraz

I'm going to be a little vague in this report because I do not have 100% of the technical details.  This may be an RFE/CR and not a bug but I can assure you Shaper Origin users who use AD need this functionality.  I will follow template and see what becomes of it.

1. Are you using the latest release version?
    (here's how to check)
    yes
  2. Can you reproduce it?
    (if you cannot then we may struggle to also, making it even harder to fix)
    yes
  3. Does it happen for a new document? If not can you upload a document that shows the problem?
    yes
  4. If you cannot provide a sample document then please give an accurate description of the problem for example it should include most of the following:
  •    What is your operating system and version (Windows 10, OSX Mojave, iOS 12 etc)?
    Big Sur
  •    Is hardware acceleration (in Preferences > Performance) ON or OFF ? (and have you tried the other setting?)
    n/a
  •    What happened for you (and what you expected to happen)
    Export SVG and expect the icon to show a thumbnail of the image
  •    Provide a recipe for creating the problem (step-by-step what you did).
    see below
  •    Screenshots (very handy) or a screen capture/video.
    See below for detailed steps
  •    Any unusual hardware (like tablets or external monitors or drives that may affect things) or relevant other applications like font managers or display managers.
    no
  •    Did this same thing used to work and if so have you changed anything recently? (software or hardware)
    never worked

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1) Draw object

image.png.853ccecb158945055f2fa308d62f4e93.png

2) Select "File | Export | SVG" with following settings:

image.png.5f68ec72d3f3c3fbc1397d133fb90cf5.png

3) Note that in the OS, the thumbnail looks correct

image.png.f9a8f15f1ec482558131c705a54f9a80.png

4) However, if you upload to ShaperHub (place to send SVG files to the Shaper Origin) and upload, you will notice there is no thumbnail. 

image.png.85704cf9798f9fb3e456787d0a6bce28.png

Now I know this sounds like it is out of Affinity's hands and Shaper needs to fix.  The reality is AD is the only SVG tool I've seen that doesn't do this correctly.  Additionally, users have written a Python script (and a web tool) and apparently it is as simple as adding a 'viewBox' parameter to the SVG. 

https://community.shapertools.com/t/affinity-designer-script-to-add-thumbnails/6384

Could we please get this added to Affinity Designer so all of us Shaper Origin users can stop using external tools and scripts that interrupt our workflow?  The aforementioned Python script is available on the link I pasted as well as notes from the author.

Thanks for your consideration.

Edited by _fraz
typo

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

When you're exporting an SVG, if you click on More in the Export dialog, one of the options you'll find is "Set viewbox". Have you checked to make sure you have that option turned on? If not, does setting it resolve your problem?

image.png.aba12fe85e0a9a6258c14aa961694809.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

When you're exporting an SVG, if you click on More in the Export dialog, one of the options you'll find is "Set viewbox". Have you checked to make sure you have that option turned on? If not, does setting it resolve your problem?

image.png.aba12fe85e0a9a6258c14aa961694809.png

Hi Walt, you nailed it.  I missed that setting and it appears to work great, thanks.

2 hours ago, ashf said:

You exported whole document.
Export only selected object.(Area option)

Close, but Walt's answer was correct.  

5 minutes ago, _fraz said:

Close, but Walt's answer was correct

Perhaps with the different export setting the viewbox option would be set automatically.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

12 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Perhaps with the different export setting the viewbox option would be set automatically.

Possible.  I just futzed around with the export settings (needs some work) and I could see that.  One thing I did notice was I could not simply set that setting in existing preset; it kept reverting.  Tried creating a new preset and same behavior.  I ended up killing both of my created presets, creating one anew [happened to have "Set viewBox" enabled] and then saved and all is perfect now.  My gut tells me it worked because the base preset had it enabled already and that is why the others wouldn't retain their settings.

No matter what, you helped me solve an issue that was bugging me for a while as well as other Origin/AD users.  I already filed RFE for them to update their doc and will go forth and share with their community.  Cheers!