You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Non-Standard Grid Help / Math Question

Howdy, Affinity Designer for iPad pals!

I'm a brand new user, and so far the app is perfect for what I'm looking to do. Love it.

I’m hoping you can help me with a an issue, where my non-standard grids do not evenly align nicely with my document.

To troubleshoot I set up documents with round numbers (10x10-inch canvas) and corresponding grid intervals (1/2 or 1-inch), but still no luck. In the attached screenshot you'll notice that the edges of the grid don't align evenly with the bounds of document/canvas. I'm running into this with all non-square grids: isometric, oblique, triangular—the lot of them.

So is there a way to at least center the grid to one axis of the document/canvas? I'm hoping this is just a simple document size vs. grid spacing math problem that I'm too dense to figure out.

My workaround is to manually place guides on a larger-than-needed canvas to get full, but it's a pain—so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance, friends!

IMG_140A54CEAB36-1.jpeg.7d6835c37d4cdb48253b8cceae3fa5a3.jpeg

• Staff

Hi @Isosceles,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

I can confirm that all Grids will start with the origin of 0,0 on your canvas, and the start of the Isometric grid defaults at the 'top' point where the guides meet.

image.png

17 hours ago, Isosceles said:

To troubleshoot I set up documents with round numbers (10x10-inch canvas) and corresponding grid intervals (1/2 or 1-inch), but still no luck. In the attached screenshot you'll notice that the edges of the grid don't align evenly with the bounds of document/canvas. I'm running into this with all non-square grids: isometric, oblique, triangular—the lot of them.

I've setup a 10" x 10" document here, and then added an Isometric grid with 0.5" spacing - this correctly aligns with both sides of the canvas, as expected -

aI0BSe6w.png

I can see in your screenshot that your spacing is set to '50pt' and not '0.5in'. Please make sure your document is using Inches as the units and then try creating this grid once again. Does this now work correctly for you? :)

Unfortunately it's not possible to move the Grid origin within Affinity Designer iOS currently - my apologies. This feature was added to the Desktop version and I'll be sure to add a 'vote' for this feature on iOS for you now, in our internal development log.

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hey @Dan C

Thanks so much for taking the time to chime in here. (I never imagined a Blastoise would help solve my issue!)

I'm still having an issue getting exactly what I'm looking for—however, it just dawned on me that my math is probably messed up since it's impossible to evenly snap to a perfect square on an isometric grid. Whoops. 

Ideally, what I'd like to come up with is a document setup that lets my grid evenly intersect with the sides of my document—for example, like the grid seen within the yellow rectangle in the attached image.

IMG_185F71C5D2CA-1.jpeg.a1a7a46b18cc44a762e9f5d19279cae1.jpeg

Is this then something I would have calculate using both grid spacing and document size? If so, any suggestions? Math makes my reptilian brain hurt.

Thank you again for your help! 🙌

17 minutes ago, Isosceles said:

Is this then something I would have calculate using both grid spacing and document size? If so, any suggestions?

If you need an exact spacing on the grid, and need it to exactly align with the canvas/document edges, then yes, your grid spacing will determine your canvas/document size.

If you can live with a document size slightly different than you were wanting, just make it a bit larger than you need, draw a rectangle covering the canvas/page, and then adjust it smaller until it exactly fits your grid. Then look in the Transform panel and the size of the rectangle is the document size you need to use.

Edit: However, if you need an exact document size, then you'll need to figure out a different grid size. i don't have a quick suggestion for that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

No problem at all, more than happy to help!

39 minutes ago, Isosceles said:

Ideally, what I'd like to come up with is a document setup that lets my grid evenly intersect with the sides of my document—for example, like the grid seen within the yellow rectangle in the attached image.

IMG_185F71C5D2CA-1.jpeg.a1a7a46b18cc44a762e9f5d19279cae1.jpeg

Is this then something I would have calculate using both grid spacing and document size? If so, any suggestions? Math makes my reptilian brain hurt.

I'm certain there's smarter users than myself that may be able to provide a true equation for this - but using your document setup above, you can essentially use the size of the rectangle to determine the required size of the document!

In my test document, I created a rectangle that matched yours above, and this measured 8.7" x 9.5". Creating a document (or resizing the existing) to this size, with a grid spacing size of 0.5" should provide the result you're looking for? :) -

p.png

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!