You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A greetings card from a drawing from 2004

William Overington

In the post

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/154881-a-discussion-of-edition-in-the-context-of-hardcopy-prints-of-digital-art/&do=findComment&comment=873237

I mentioned some graphics that I produced in 2004.

I am thinking that it would be nice to order a hardcopy greetings card illustrated using one of graphics.

In particular this one.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/drawing2.PDF

The drawing is of size A3 landscape, vector.

If I remember correctly, drawing.PDF was my first attempt at producing anyting as line-drawn vector art on a computer. The image drawing2.PDF applied what I had learned. Nevertheless I uploaded drawing.PDF into the webspace.

I need an image 2100 pixels wide by 1500 pixels high so as to place centred onto a canvas 2171 pixels wide by 1571 pixels high in order to produce a jpg file to upload. This so that the uploaded artwork is of the fprmat mentioned in the followimg thread.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/138654-artwork-for-greetings-cards/

I began by opening the PDF document in Affinity Designer.

I then saved the document as ladscape_from_2004.afdesign.

I then closed the file, then opened it. Maybe unnecessary, but harmless and might possibly avoid some proble. A sort of software unicorn situation, done just in case.

File

Document Setup...

gives

1190.6 points by 841.9 ponts at 72 dots per inch.

I want 2100 pixels by up to 1500 pixels at 300 dots per inch, with aspect ratio unchanged.

So save as landscape_from_2004a.afdesign in case I need to go back at some point.

Close the file and open it again. (I know, I know, but just in case!)

Try changing the units to pixels and to 300 dots per inch and OK, then look at the new situation.

Ah, 4960.6 pixels by 3507.9 pixels at 300 dots per inch.

Open unicorn3.afdesign as this is a file of a correct size to produce a jpg to upload to produce a greetings card.

Save as landscape_from_2004z.afdesign then close, open again, remove the image, close, reopen.

So now to try to get the image from landscape_from_2004a.afdesign correctly into landscape_from_2004z.afdesign

Save landscape_from_2004a.afdesign as landscape_from_2004b.afdesign, close and then reopen.

Draw a rectangle 4960.6 pixels by 3507.9 pixels, white fill, line width 0, and send to the back.

Click outside the canvas so as to deselect the rectangle and save.

Select All using Control A, group, and then copy obto the clipboard using control C.

Close the file.

Paste from the clipboard into landscape_from_2004z.afdesign

On the Transform panel, lock the aspect ratio.

Change the width to 2100 pixels, the height goes automatically to 1485 pixels, so that is not above 1500 pixels, so fine.

Centre the image horizontally and vertically.

Save the file.

Export just the selected grouped image as a png file at one third size both horizontally and vertically to upload to the Affinity forum.

landscape_from_2004z_for_forum.png.510fced6e0a6d85551ed2b3a286246eb.png

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

I need an image 2100 pixels wide by 1500 pixels high so as to place centred onto a canvas 2171 pixels wide by 1571 pixels high in order to produce a jpg file to upload.

No, you need an image 7 inches wide by 5 inches high at 300 dpi, with a 3 mm bleed.

Let Affinity Designer do the calculations for you! To create the attached, I began with a new ‘Print’ document (units: inches, dpi: 300, size: 7 by 5) and set the bleed amount to 3 millimetres. I then placed the image on the canvas, locked the aspect ratio and set the width to 7 inches (resulting in a height of less than 5 inches) and centred the resized image.

WJGO_drawing2.afdesign

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

13 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I then placed the image on the canvas, ...

Well, it was very nice of you to produce the image, yet, um, ... how did you get "the image" that you placed. For me, when I did it, getting the image from one document to the other was the new-to-me part. I had a test try yesterday and it went wrong at times, which is how I devised the adding of the background rectangle and the grouping, which is how I did it today, writing the post as I proceeded. That process was indeed helpful to me as the post contained the numbers that I needed to use when drawing the rectangle.

The reason I build the bleed area into the canvas itself is because I could not get bleed areas to work.

For this picture, fine, but for those where the picture goes to the edge of the card, and into the bleed area as with the poem with the language-independent glyphs and the one with the galloping software unicorns, well, I could not figure out how to do it so as I wanted to get on to produce the cards I did it as I did and it has worked fine.

The issue with the bleed area is basically, if one wants to produce a jpg file where the colour goes into the bleed area, so as to allow for mechanical chpping tolerance and yet still get colour to the edge of the finished card, how does one do that?

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

57 minutes ago, William Overington said:

how did you get "the image" that you placed

By going to the File menu, choosing ‘Place’ and navigating to the saved PDF file.

Affinity Designer Help: Placing content

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

The reason I build the bleed area into the canvas itself is because I could not get bleed areas to work.

Affinity Designer Help: Setting bleed

Alfred spacer.png

41 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Does this mean that although I got a good result, I used a process that took much longer and more effort than it need have done?

Well, judge for yourself!! ;)

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

Let Affinity Designer do the calculations for you!

Alfred spacer.png