You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paragragh styles with real Title Case Capitalization

Hi all

Yes, I have seen a request like this, but the solution seems a bit unreal for me.

It doens't really matter if Serif implemented the feature in Text/Capitalization like an action or whatever, or how other brands have implemented it. That really matters is that isn't logic (for me, of course) that a text format option can (and must) be applied by hand but not by paragraph style. In the end, all formatting is an action, isn't it?

I every year format some dietaries, and I have created various python scripts to generate the fields that I'll add using data merge (sometimes not only texts but images). In Indesign I only need to use paragraph styles to format all the texts (some in all caps, others in title case, whatever client whishes). In Publisher I must generate the texts almost in final format, so I must create one file to every client (or more, if client wants to see more options, and clients ALWAYS want to see more options), or revise EVERY PAGE in EVERY DOCUMENT to apply some text formats manually.

Not very efficient, isn't?. And in this world time is never enough (actually is always missing). And this is only one of the lot of possible examples that you must use this feature.

So I must continue to use 2 programs when I want to use only 1, because Publisher Data Merge is better than in Indesign (at least it supports double-page spreads, not like the Adobe application).

Someone thinks like me? I think yes ;) If so, I look forward to your support in this post.

Greetings from Spain,

Jose

Just so I am clear, do you want the options from the Text Menu's Capitalization part to be available in the Paragraph Style panel?

1478644015_ScreenShot2021-12-16at9_30_41AM.png.9f2ff805a670549dcff831753dcfea0e.png

I doubt I would ever use it but fine, I'll support that request.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks for your support, Bruce.

Nope, I wish to include this option in a PARAGRAPGH STYLE, under Capitals:

image.png.b96071fbd45c590675fc9e3d3e918453.png 

Who use (or even understand) Titling or Unicase options?? The options of Text / Capitalisation menu are more natural and useful, but we cant apply them in a paragraph style, as you can do in Indesign (and other pro apps).

I hope you have it clear now ;) .

Greetings,

Jose

1 hour ago, Jose Alvarez said:

Who use (or even understand) Titling or Unicase options??

Those are OpenType features which may or may not be included in the font.
Not the same thing.

The Case functions in the Text > Capitalization menu are all missing from text styles.
For situations like this those are needed.

But those case functions actually change the characters.
OpenType features only change what glyph is displayed.
I guess always applying Title Case to the same text should come out the same.

Maybe what is also needed is the ability to apply the case functions on the data merge.

11 hours ago, LibreTraining said:

The Case functions in the Text > Capitalization menu are all missing from text styles.
For situations like this those are needed.

Maybe what is also needed is the ability to apply the case functions on the data merge.

I agree. But if you can create a style with them, you can apply it in data merge without problems, I think.

Those are OpenType features which may or may not be included in the font.
Not the same thing.

Ah, ok, thanks!