You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×
Our response time is longer than usual currently. We're working to answer users as quickly as possible and thank you for your continued patience.

Grid Configuration - Issues and oddnesses

Hi all,

I have two concerns regarding the grid and the "Grid and Axis Manager".

1. On what kind of measurement logic is the automatic grid based on? It seams that it never fits the scene. A grid is from my point of view a tool to get objects alined on the canvas in regards to proportion, distance, margins, etc. But if a grid, like the automatic one, seams to behave arbitrary it brakes with its own right to exist. For example: I want to design some icons for a device like the Mac and I create a canvas of 1024x1024 pixel and turn the grid on, it will never ever divide the canvas into main lines in powers of two. If I use the metric system, it will never ever give me a grid that is in decimal power. This makes no sense and it forces me to open the Grid and Axis Manager on every new Design.

2. Changing the values inside the Grid and Axis Manager are directly reflected to the canvas if set via a slider. But sliders are sometimes tedious when a specific value is needed (especially for Trackpad users). Entering a value manually is often faster and much more reliable. But a value entered directly is not reflected to the canvas. Even worse: Entering a value and not hitting enter or focusing on another input field does not apply the value. I found myself often in that situation that I have configured the horizontal subdivision value, then switched to the vertical subdivision field, entered a value there and hit the "close" button. The last value was ignored and I had to reopen the Manager to enter the value again. Very unintuitive.

Best wishes,

Martin

• Staff

Hi Martin,

The automatic grid is based on distance - each unit type has a logic for how many units per division at what zoom level. It is not based around any dynamic logic related to your document dimensions - although that's certainly something worth us looking at... Sorry if it's getting in your way? :(

Thanks,

Matt

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.