You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

One thing that gets to me is the layer/child layer being added every time I do something (draw in vector or pixel). Is there a way to turn this off and give me the ability to add the layer or child layer when I want it. Not when the program wants it.

Gregg

OS X Version 10.14.6 iMac 27" 3.2 GHz i5- 32 GB  Huion Kamvas Pro 20

iPad Pro 12.9" IOS 13

AD = OS IOS, AP = OS IOS

Tony, when I draw a line (vector) or paint an area, the program creates a new child layer. Pretty soon, I have a layer with a bunch of child layer under it. I don't want that. I would like to add layers/child layers as I want them. Not as the program wants them.

Gregg

iPad Pro 12.9" IOS 13

AD = OS IOS, AP = OS IOS

If I have a layer, and I start to draw, Afinity makes a child layer under the layer. Yes, there is a shape, line, or lines, but Afinity does this on it's own. When I create a layer and draw on that layer, I don't want to create a bunch of child layers. Or if I do, can I merge all of those child layer into one?

In the end, I end up with named layer with a bunch of child layer under them. I would like more control over when a layer is created.

It does make a difference on the Pixel persona side. Because, if I go back in and try to paint or erase or anything, I have to highlight/select all of those child layer to find the child layer I am trying to work on. Or is that a bug? Because, if I select the layer (not child), Afinity does not recognize it. I have to find the child layer.

Gregg

iPad Pro 12.9" IOS 13

AD = OS IOS, AP = OS IOS

• Staff

Scott, those things you are calling child layers are the objects you draw. Affinity Designer lists them all one by one under a layer while you create them. In the layers panel they may look like layers, but they are in fact objects. How can you recognise them? Look at their names: true layers have (layer) written after the name of the layer. While objects (those that you are calling child layers) have (Curve) written in front of them. Take a look at my screenshot:

I have one layer that i named body and is automatically identified by Affinity as a (Layer)

Inside this layer i have several objects (aka shapes and paths) all of them identified automatically by Affinity as (Curve)

All vector software creates them separately so you can transform and edit them individually. They are separate entities that you can manipulate. If you press the arrow near the layer's name you can collapse it and hide the individual objects. You can still select them on the canvas with the mouse.

Try this: select one of the objects and double click on it to rename it. Note what appears there: Name of Object.

Now try the same on a real layer... it just appears a generic name: Layer1. See the diference?

So Affinity is not creating child layers. It is simply listing the objects you draw on the layer's panel.

post-59-0-66654800-1412468423_thumb.png

Thanks Miguel and Tony, I know what the layers and software are doing. And I know about the arrows. When I am in the Pixel Persona I am doing the same thing. Creating layers and then, child layers. If I go back to the Vector Persona and then back to the Pixel Persona to edit, I have to select the child layer so I can edit whats on that layer. If I try and select the just the Layer above all the child layers to edit a child layer, Afinity won't let edit the child layer. I have to select the child layer (or use the shift key to select a bunch of them). This is a pain. I should be able to select the layer above the child layers to edit the child layers below.

Plus, I would just like to have more control over the layers and child layers. One possibility is being able to merge the child layers. When I am editing in the pixel persona side, I am jumping around. I don't like to have to select a bunch of child layers each time.

Gregg

iPad Pro 12.9" IOS 13

AD = OS IOS, AP = OS IOS

• 1 year later...

Hurray! I did solve it. The problem was that I was in "Artboard" mood. So everything I did was automatically in the Artboard layer. I marked everything and move it out from the Artboard layer and then i deleted the Artboard layer. Great!