You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD 1.10.4.1198] Application crashes

Friksel

Hi, 

So far since the launch of Affinity I've never had real crashes in the software. But in this version there's an issue that causes the application to crash.

It looks like this is being caused by having two slices with the same name. It shows an exclamation mark next to the duplicate name, but when scrolling through the list the application crashes. This is consistent. I've tried re-opening the application and do it again several times in a row and everytime Designer crashed.

I managed to check out the boxes for the duplicate slices and re-save the file and that seems to have 'solved' the crashing issue. But it's obviously not right that Designer crashes at that point.

I also wonder how these duplicate entries ended up there in the first place. I'm not sure I've created these myself, but as well might have. I'm just not 100% sure.

Unfortunately I don't have the errornous file anymore as it's restored, but hope this explanation is enough to test and fix it.

• Staff

Hi @Friksel,

Thanks for your report!

On 11/15/2021 at 9:52 AM, Friksel said:

It looks like this is being caused by having two slices with the same name. It shows an exclamation mark next to the duplicate name, but when scrolling through the list the application crashes. This is consistent. I've tried re-opening the application and do it again several times in a row and everytime Designer crashed.

I've tried replicating this here, even using continuous exporting through the Export Persona and thus far I've not yet experienced any crashing. Please see my recording below and confirm if I am missing any certain steps? (or perhaps the export format?)

On 11/15/2021 at 9:52 AM, Friksel said:

I also wonder how these duplicate entries ended up there in the first place. I'm not sure I've created these myself, but as well might have. I'm just not 100% sure.

One possibility is that you duplicated an artboard, for example, as this will use the same name as the original Artboard and therefore will also have the same Slice name?

Do you have any crash reports in the below location from this crash? :)

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\CrashReports\reports

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hello @Dan C

I am pretty sure I didn't duplicate an artboard. Also these slices didn't correspond with actual parts in the layout because when switching back to the normal Designer view I only had one of it there, no duplicates nor copies. That's what I think points to the reason of the crash. I should have saved the file at that state for testing, but I didn't so can't see what exactly what's going on right now.

What I can tell you:

In your video I see a rectangular box around 'artboard' in the slices panel, but I've never seen that UI piece here, only exclamation mark icons.

There is a dmp-file in the location you mentioned, but it's from long time ago, so nothing of last days nor weeks.

• Staff
3 hours ago, Friksel said:

Also these slices didn't correspond with actual parts in the layout because when switching back to the normal Designer view I only had one of it there, no duplicates nor copies. That's what I think points to the reason of the crash.

Ah, I understand much clearer now - thank you for that!

I'm not sure what could cause a duplicate slice to be created for one layer object, so I'll continue testing this internally and have also informed our QA team regarding this, such that they can investigate further :)

Should you come across this issue again, please don't hesitate to let us know!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!