You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iPad Pressure Curve Input Bug - Initial Input Value Stuck

Hey guys, hope all is well!

I ran into a strange behavior on iPad last night that I thought I'd share. I'm on 1.10.3, Late 2020 iPad Pro 12.9, using 2nd gen apple pencil. iPad running OS 15.1, M1 Mac running Monterey 12.0.1

So, I was working on a drawing using some vector inking brushes I made. The size variance of the brushes is set to 100%, and the brushes were designed to produce very fine tapered points. Everything was going fine until suddenly I started getting really strange results from my strokes.

No matter how lightly or heavily I touch the screen with the pencil the initial input value appears to be stuck at the exact same value/percentage which indicates to me that the error/bug is consistent. The ends of the strokes didn't appear to be affected, and I was able to produce a variety of values at the ends of strokes. Only the initial contact/input seems to be affected.

I'll attach a video I took of the behavior below, as well as video of a test I ran using my iPad to draw on the M1 Mini in Designer.

Here are some notes regarding the testing I performed.

1. At first I thought it might have been either my own hand or the apple pencil. So I opened up a few other apps like procreate and Vectornator and tested it out. The behavior was not successfully reproduced.

2. I went back into Designer's pencil settings, reset the pressure curve, and tried to produce the behavior again. The behavior was successfully reproduced.

3. Then, I opened up the 1.10.3(1.10.19)beta and tried again. The behavior was successfully reproduced.

4. After this, I wondered if the phenomenon was isolated to the iPad versions of the app, so I opened up Designer on the M1, hooked up the iPad and recorded. The behavior was not successfully reproduced; input from the Apple pencil appeared as normal.

Thank you for your time. Keep at it!

2020 M1 Mac Mini, 16GB, Mac OS Sonoma 14.1.1
iPad Pro 12.9, Gen 4, iPad OS 16.3.1

• Staff

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the information and videos. What you're seeing is actually a workaround we've implemented due to a problem with the hardware sending an incorrect high pressure value at the start of the stroke. This was causing 'blobs' to appear at the start of a stroke when using a low pressure. To work around this we've limited the initial pressure to 20%, which is why you're seeing the pressure values you are.

Unfortunately this isn't the most ideal of situations and it is something we're wanting to improve in the future!

Dang. This is unfortunate, but I've got to admit its fascinating. So many questions! - Alas, It sounds like you guys have your hands full. I hope you guys can get it sorted well. Take care! I'll be looking forward to all the good stuff coming down the pike!

...a problem with the hardware sending an incorrect high pressure value at the start of the stroke. This was causing 'blobs' to appear at the start of a stroke when using a low pressure. To work around this we've limited the initial pressure to 20%...

Sean, is this adjustment limited to Vector Persona or was it implemented in Pixel Persona as well? I'm wondering how this will effect pressure sensitive brushes and shaders in Pixel Persona.

• 1 year later...

Just bumping this Affinity Designer / Apple Pencil issue on iPad as it's still driving me nuts in v2. Every time I draw a line using the vector pencil or brush I often get additional data (points, pressure, etc) at the beginning and end of the stroke. Cleaning this up is SO tedious, especially as we still don't have a stroke width tool which means you still have to edit widths in the awful (and very small) pressure graph.

After all these years (9+ with Affinity Designer on macOS, since November 2017 on iPad, and 2 major versions) this is something I would have expected to be fixed (as a priority) years ago. It's supposed to be a bloody drawing app?!