You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Freehand Antialias isn't properly smoothing the edges

Using the freehand antialias doesn't seem to give it proper smoothing, I see clear staircase results after I fill the selection, while the Polygonal type seems that it has been implemented correctly.

Also while using the freehand tool and try to draw fast the selection gets smoother (You have to draw extremely fast to get these smoother results!).

Furthermore, using the freehand tool using a Pen Tablet makes the selection smoother vs a Mouse.

When I use the Polygonal type to get a circler shape you can see that it has smoother selection in the video.

BTW going in Mouse Properties in Windows 10 and turning the Enhance pointer precision doesn't change anything.

-------------

Tested on Windows 10
Affinity version 1.10.1.1142
I have tested with Hardware Acceleration on & off

Issue.png

mineral.afphoto

10 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey Jameel Hakimi,

I think it is working, just not as you're used to or expect.

See the screenshot. You can see that when it is enabled, the pixels are slightly feathered. 

Freehand.jpg

Hello Chris,

Yes, it does smooth it but not enough.

There is still visible staircase pixels that are pretty visible from 100% point of view.

I made another video to be more clear about the issue.

• Staff

I've just checked to see what Photoshop does and it's very similar, however their Freehand tool can actually move around inside a pixel whereas in Affinity, it snaps to the pixel edge - I think this is why it's a bit smoother in Photoshop but still not perfect as I can still see the steps.

Perhaps we could have a setting for the snapping for the pixel edges which would allow us more freedom.