You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Images as Watermarks coming out too intense with a colour cast.

Here I am trying to be subtle, designing a DVD sleeve for a project nearing completion and the idea was that a couple of old photos would be used as what I would call watermarks. Using Publisher and Photo on the PC the screen image is sublimely subtle, or in Essex speak "looks well bloody good".

The print out produces images much darker and have a red tinge.

I have tried reimporting them as Grey 16 but they still are way less than acceptable.

Any words of wisdom or should I scrap subtlety and change the design and have a beer?

I would add that the background across the whole page is a silk texture that I have switched off. ie it's currently white.

What color space is your document, and your photos? What kind of printer are you using? 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Walt

Apologies for the delayed reply. Colour space would have been the default profile from a template I made when I started using Publisher. Attached

Printer is a Brother Laser L8260. Sadly there are black holes in my knowledge of print colour space. Video ... 35 years experience but sadly a local print shop that could have helped me sort this, closed last year ironically 3 weeks ahead of the Covid lockdown.

EDIT: As a test this morning I printed the sleeve in 3 layers. 1 Background in colour, 2 overlay "watermarks" in B&W and 3 the rest of the layers in colour.

PIA for sure BUT it now looks as we envisaged it

URS Cspace.jpg