You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Polish Hyphenation Affinity Publisher

Mit den Dateien und Anleitung auf der untenstehenden Seite funktioniert die polnische Rechtschreibung

With the files and instructions on the page below the Polish spelling works

Alternativ kannst du die Wörterbücher bei OpenOffice herunterladen.
https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/polish-dictionary-pack

Die Dateiendung .oxt änderst du in .zip und entpackst die Datei.
Das Verzeichnis pl_PL kannst du nun in
C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\2.0\Dictionaries\ kopieren.

Der Publisher muss anschliessend neu gestartet werden.

Alternatively, you can download the dictionaries from OpenOffice.
https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/polish-dictionary-pack

Change the file extension .oxt to .zip and unzip the file.
You can copy the directory pl_PL to C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\2.0\Dictionaries\.

The Publisher must be restarted afterwards.

Gruss

Andreas

OK, I found the bug and solved the problem that I created myself! :) The solution is simple and lies in plain sight, just above my first desperate post. I was simply not paying attention. The benefit of my thread is that this bug, in addition to being silly, is also persistent, as evidenced by the reported problems of other Publisher users. So perhaps this whole episode will be useful for solidifying this knowledge.

In short, the bug is that the path given in Edit>Settings>Tools>Additional dictionary folder was C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\2.0\Dictionaries\pl_PL, but it should be C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\2.0\Dictionaries. That's it. Do not include the language folder name at the end of the path!

I thank everyone for their positive reaction and willingness to help. Regards

Read Walt with attention! Don't be like Tulimord :) 

3 hours ago, Tulimord said:

@MikeTO Paragraph > Hyphenation > Use auto-hyphenation was/is selected.  Character > Language > Polski - the problem is that Polish is not listed as a language option. The only option available is "Unknown (pl-PL)". The "Hyphenation > Use auto-hyphenation" setting is selected, but it has no effect. 

Unknown means that Publisher cannot find a dictionary for that language used in the document. If you create a new document it shouldn't even appear in the list.

I'm not a Windows user but I think the problem is in your Publisher settings. I had misread what you'd done when I looked at it earlier. The additional dictionary folder should be set to C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\2.0\Dictionaries not C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\2.0\Dictionaries\pl_PL. While the hyphenation dictionary goes into the pl_PL folder, that folder's name shouldn't be used in settings.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)