You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Opens but stalls with spinning ball when trying to open a new document.

Have Affinity Publisher, Photo and Designer on Mac.  No problems for the past few years but now in Designer only if I try to open a new document I get the 'spinning ball' and the application indicates not responding and have to keep using Force Quit.  If I open a previous document either from recent documents in the menu or directly from a folder in Finder document opens as normal.   Not had this issue before.  Tried uninstalling and re-installing but no joy.  Would be very grateful for any help please as Designer is my fave App.

Not sure if this will help but you might try starting up AD with the CTRL key held down, & in the Clear User Data window that opens, tick only the "Don't Restore Windows and Documents" option.

1348909397_ClearUserDatawindow.jpg.34403e7b908301f6d1cb70c46e69ba79.jpg

This might work if the reason the app hangs is it cannot open a previously open document. Otherwise, it probably will have no useful effect.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi @Elderly User,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble here! As the application isn't crashing, there's unfortunately going to be no crash report generated which would provide us with more specifics as to what could be causing this for you.

Therefore I'd like to try resetting your app back to default settings - however this will lose all of your custom data (saved brushes, assets, presets etc) so we can backup your user data before trying this.

Can you please confirm for me;

• Did you purchase the app from the Affinity Store or the Mac App Store?
  • What version of macOS is installed please?

These may change the installation location for your user data, so I need this information in order to provide the correct path for you.

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that for me! Firstly, please make sure that Affinity Designer is closed, then can you please open Finder and navigate to:

~/Library/Containers/Affinity Designer/

Within this folder you should find a 'Data' folder, please select this folder and rename it to 'Data(old)' and move this folder to a different location (I'd recommend your desktop).

Once completed, please restart Affinity Designer and you should find a new 'Data' folder is created within this location and the app should hopefully launch.

Does this resolve the freezing on load for you please? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

I'm very glad to hear this, many thanks for letting me know!

28 minutes ago, Elderly User said:

Is it ok to move the Data(old) folder from the desktop to the bin?

Do you have any custom brushes, assets, styles etc that you had saved in Designer and wish to continue using? As these will have been removed when moving this folder to your desktop and I would not want to delete this folder if you will lose any saved information you may want to have retained.

9 minutes ago, Elderly User said:

Any idea what may have caused this?  Was it something I may have inadvertently done or just one of those glitches?

As there's no known issues currently that should have caused this, I am confident in saying that this was most likely a 'hiccup' from the App - it's likely that the application incorrectly cached one of your setting files etc and this caused the crashing/hanging on load for you.

If you wish, we can provide an upload link for this folder on your desktop, so I can forward it to our QA/Dev team for further investigation to see if we can try and determine the exact file that was causing this, but this isn't required if the app is now working correctly for you and as I mention I highly doubt this was caused by user error :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

Within this folder you should find a 'Data' folder, please select this folder and rename it to 'Data(old)' and move this folder to a different location (I'd recommend your desktop).

Is it really necessary or desirable to move the renamed folder & move it out of the original location? After it is renamed, the app won't use it on the next launch, even if it is not moved.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
1 minute ago, R C-R said:

Is it really necessary or desirable to move the renamed folder & move it out of the original location?

It's not necessary - but it has been known to cause confusion with customers previously, so I personally recommend this just to keep the Library folder as uncluttered as possible during the process, but as you've mentioned once re-named there's no requirement to move the folder.

This can also help when copy/pasting or moving user data & settings from the (Old) folder to the newly created one, as the files will all have the same names, it can be less confusing moving from a desktop folder to a folder within the Library, rather than 2 folders both within the Library - but as above this isn't a necessity, I simply suggest it to try and help reduce confusion :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

33 minutes ago, Dan C said:

This can also help when copy/pasting or moving user data & settings from the (Old) folder to the newly created one, as the files will all have the same names, it can be less confusing moving from a desktop folder to a folder within the Library, rather than 2 folders both within the Library - but as above this isn't a necessity, I simply suggest it to try and help reduce confusion 

Personally, I find it easier to copy or move those things from the old to the new folder if I can open them both in the same list view Finder window, but that is just me.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff

Thanks for confirming, you can certainly remove this folder from your desktop then & I suspect this issue should not return :)

Please note -

Many thanks!