You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher slug line please

It would be great if Affinity Publisher had the option for slug lines outside the print area as well as bleed. That way you can draw folding marks to guide the print partner for finishing jobs like book jackets. To do this currently I have to put an oversized bleed on the affected sides, draw the dotted lines in there and put up with the trim marks being a long way off the page. This may not fit on the printing plate/sheet. See attached sample of a dummy book jacket made as a theatre prop.

Thanks!

Kokoschka book.pdf

If you do a search you should find that a lot of users have requested a printable slug area, if I remember right, a few years ago, it featured on the roadmap so maybe planned for a future release   

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

I don't work for Serif, so the fact that I do not understand the question is not significant.

Yet I thought that I would try to find out what is a slug line, in this context.

I have found the following.

https://www.studiobinder.com/blog/what-is-a-slug-line-definition/

It is interesting, and probably not what is being asked about in this thread, though in fact useful to me as a serendipitous discovery as I like to write, but gives me a clue as to the possible meaning here as being some sort of guidance information to help produce the final printed output but is not part of the printed output. Is that right?

I have also found the following.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slug_(typesetting)

I had a look at the PDF document that is attached to the first post in this thread.

What does that demonstrate please?

What would you be able to get if Serif implemented your suggestion?

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

3 hours ago, GeoffM33 said:

See attached sample of a dummy book jacket made as a theatre prop.

Kokoschka book.pdf 9.26 MB · 4 downloads

Can you clarify that please? Is a play to be produced?

Given that cutting a printed page of that along the trim lines would detach the folding guidance, does folding take place before trimming?

Is this for a printing run or just for, say, three copies, one to use, one to archive and one in case the first one gets damaged in use?

Is a stage performance of a play due to take place?

The following is interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oskar_Kokoschka

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.