You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can I Export a Layer with Brush Markings Only and Have it Be Transparent?

The reason I want to do this is I want to use it as an overlay. I'm modeling a 3D head in PoserPro2014. I have a reference photo I'm using. In AffinityPhoto, I compare the two (reference and 3D model) on separate layers. Then, I mark up with colored brushes the various areas I want to change. I can easily export just this brush marked layer. The problem is I want the layer to be transparent, so that I can use it as an overlay to place over the 3D model in PoserPro2014, and be used to guide me as I make the changes. Is there any way to do this? That would be one alternative, a saved out file with only the brush marks showing, and the file being transparent as I open it over the desktop or over PoserPro.

Or, is there any way to keep AffinityPhoto open, and have just the brush marked layer float over the PoserPro work area? That is, can I get the transparent layer in AP to just float independently of the AP application window?

Either way would be just fine for my purposes.

Hi inquire :)

I have been able to do this by following the steps below.

• Create a new Pixel Layer
  • Paint over the areas you wish to highlight 
  • Hide the Background Layer which leaves only brush marks showing
  • Export as PNG-24 (with transparency)

You do have an option called 'Separated Mode' which you can find under the Window tab, this will allow you to view multiple projects at one time. 

I hope this helps!
J

I don't know what the cause might be but there shouldn't be any "little dots that represent transparency" in a PNG with a transparent background. There is no nontransparent representation of transparency in a transparent portion of an image. At least there shouldn't be.

Well, if the png is within Affinity Photo, then, of course, it's transparent. But, if I use the Separation Mode technique, and drag the layer over the PoserPro Window, then, yes, the little dots that represent transparency are there and obscure my seeing the head in the Poser window. The same thing happens if I save the png layer out, and open it in Preview, and drag it over the PoserPro Window. It's only within Affinity Photo that the layer is transparent. So, I'm hoping there's some way that only the colored markings I've made on the painted layer will show, and that those can be transposed over the 3D head I'm modeling in PoserPro. That would really make my workflow much more convenient. Is there a way to make that happen?