You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ability to create, name and save a brush

Can't you already do that by creating a custom image brush?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/15/2021 at 4:33 PM, KillaraPat said:

Thanks Walt  - are you saying that it is possible in AD for desktop to click on an existing vector stroke in your picture and then save/create a new vector brush (including all stroke and colour particulars) based on that vector layer, for later use?

Walt is correct you can make your own brushes, but just not in the way you’re  thinking. 
At the moment you can only create pixel brushes using a png file. 

You cannot create vector brushes like in Ai where virtually any vector can be dragged into brush palette to be used as a brush and is easily editable. 

This feature is near the top of my want list for Afinity 🙏🏻🙏🏻 Let’s hope it comes soonish….. 

On 7/15/2021 at 4:33 AM, KillaraPat said:

Thanks Walt  - are you saying that it is possible in AD for desktop to click on an existing vector stroke in your picture and then save/create a new vector brush (including all stroke and colour particulars) based on that vector layer, for later use?

Sorry; I lost track of this topic. (Thanks, @ra.skill, for mentioning me and calling it to my attention again.)

No, @KillaraPat, that's not what I was saying. But that's also not what you asked for. You said nothing about creating the brush from an existing stroke.

However, as you've explained more about what you're after, you may be able to do it, but that will depend on how you created the vector stroke.

For example, if I draw a path with the Pen Tool, and then edit the stroke pressure settings via the Context Toolbar to give something like this, no, I can't create a brush from that:
image.png.b01e7cdc293598407823b2aafb4455d8.png

Stroke panel settings for this:
image.png.886ae5895a53da0760b67b28da9ea17e.png

However, if I have a stroke that I made using an Affinity Vector Brush, then yes, I can create another Affinity Vector Brush from it, also using the Context Toolbar or the Stroke panel, by clicking on Properties (next to Pressure), and then Duplicate. That will create a brush in the currently selected Brushes panel category:

image.png.b21d69635c5cc67ee99ff425d20a6617.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1