You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Simple route back to default list indents????? Publisher

How do I get back to the default list setting? So I can just click the list icon in the toolbar - job done: properly indented lists?

1. I've tried reseting defaults... hasn't made the slightest difference.
  2. Do I have to reinstate the default paragraph styles, and if so, how do I do it?

I have no idea why or how they appear to have lost all indenting.

Thanks

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

Can you provide some screenshots of the application window, and even better a sample .afpub document, to help illustrate your problem?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Gah, I hate when this happens...

Just gone through the exact same sequence (I'm as certain as I can be because it involved only three steps). 1) new document, 2) type a couple of paragraphs and select them, then 3) click the number bullet list button in the toolbar. This was a 'quick n dirty' minimal task I was doing.

Except this time the bloomin thing has behaved correctly! The list is properly indented! Gah.

I can only think the Reset Defaults doesn't take effect until the app is quit and rebooted? And that's what explains the difference in behaviour.

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

1 minute ago, ProDesigner said:

I can only think the Reset Defaults doesn't take effect until the app is quit and rebooted?

The only "Reset Defaults" that I can think of probably doesn't do what you think, and may not be useful for what you're trying to do.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Edit > Defaults > Factory Reset

I suppose you're going to tell me 'Factory Reset' does not reset everything to the factory settings.. it sort of resets... ? Is that it? There's too much of this 'sort of' does something.

47 minutes ago, ProDesigner said:

I suppose you're going to tell me 'Factory Reset' does not reset everything to the factory settings.. it sort of resets... ? Is that it? There's too much of this 'sort of' does something.

That resets the object defaults to the factory settings (strokes and fills for objects, and some other stuff) but text styles are not object defaults, and so I have no idea if that would be effective for your problem.

That's why I would need more information about your problem, to figure out what it was and what an appropriate action is.

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, ProDesigner said:

Edit > Defaults > Factory Reset

I suppose you're going to tell me 'Factory Reset' does not reset everything to the factory settings..

That one does not. Refer to the help topic Object defaults for an explanation of the available options.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you @walt.farrell and @R C-R for pitching-in, appreciated.

The below is aimed at anyone reading it...

Two requests:

1) Is there a simple way of purging all added Text Styles settings?

Struggling to understand how to create a default set of Text Styles, I've made a right old mess.

There's all sorts of silly settings in place in my App now I've realised, and I need to clear them out.

They've been created by using Edit > Defaults > Save, and possibly by eating a jam sarnie while facing West on a wet Tuesday. (It's a messy business learning stuff.)

-------------------------------

2) A clear qualified Edit > Defaults > etc

defaults.png.738542c27a6fdc8f6be533e6814037ac.png

The above illustrates a set of commands grouped under one heading: 'Defaults'.

Unfortunately, there's no qualifier present explaining which defaults...

So here's a way to set this out really clearly.... (If the below is correct, it's a miracle btw).

Types of default:
x = interface defaults
y = object defaults, but not text inside a text frame object (!)
z = text styles defaults

So the Defaults command list with qualifiers would read:

• Synchronise x, z or y (all) from Selection
  • Save x, z and y (all)
  • Revert x and y only
  • Factory Reset y only

Can someone do the correct version, please?

( I tried the App Help - it didn't help - and I've searched around to no great benefit).

If we crack this one, I'll feel like I've reached a milestone, and that maybe there is hope afterall. Thank you.

51 minutes ago, ProDesigner said:

1) Is there a simple way of purging all added Text Styles settings?

I think what you want can be found in the Text > Text Styles submenu, Either "Delete Unused Styles" or "Detach and Delete All Styles" followed by "Save Text Styles as Default" once you set up the ones you want for that.

For your second request, please refer to the help topic I linked to above.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I did that. Except it didn't remove the silly setting of 125pt font size on 14 pt leading that seemed to be associated with No Style., or is that Base Style?

8 hours ago, R C-R said:

For your second request, please refer to the help topic I linked to above.

I also looked at that. That's the Help that didn't Help.

A Text Frame is an object? Yet, Factory reset does not reset the text inside that particular object? So it partially resets Text Frames?

So Text Style defaults (inside an object) are ignored by Factory Reset. What about the other commands under that list? Do they ignore default text styles? And which ones do and which ones don't?  It's a fair question (s).

There's a complexity here that's clear as mud. I am utterly lost with this.

3 hours ago, ProDesigner said:

I did that. Except it didn't remove the silly setting of 125pt font size on 14 pt leading that seemed to be associated with No Style., or is that Base Style?

Please list the exact steps you did in order (each menu command, what you set up as the defaults, etc.).

Affinity Photo 

5 hours ago, ProDesigner said:

I also looked at that. That's the Help that didn't Help.

Did you at least understand what it was saying about defaults being stored separately for artistic text, for frame text, for strokes, etc.?

Affinity Photo 

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

Did you at least understand what it was saying about defaults being stored separately for...

Yes, hence my model:

16 hours ago, ProDesigner said:

Types of default:
x = interface defaults
z = text styles defaults

So we've got:

x = artistic text defaults
y = frame text defaults
z = stroke defaults
a = fill defaults
b = app defaults (General, Colour, Performance, User Interface, Tools., etc - 10 total) viewed via 'preferences'
c = ?

Then I was hoping for clarity around which edit > defaults > command manipulates which defaults. I thought what I wanted to know was simple. It clearly isn't. The Help doesn't set this out in an easy to absorb way (probably because it's not easy to absorb). Admittedly it was after midnight after a long-long week.

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

Please list the exact steps you did in order (each menu command, what you set up as the defaults, etc.).

I appreciate you trying to help despite it being a bit painful @R C-R

When I've the energy I'm going to post some observations c/w screen captures to a new topic, that I think might lead the way to clarity in the end.

14 minutes ago, ProDesigner said:

x = interface defaults
z = text styles defaults

I do not quite understand what you find so difficult to understand about this. There are two kinds of text defaults, each stored separately, one for artistic text objects & another for frame text objects. So this 'model' is wrong -- there are two 'z' items, which are your 'x' & 'y' items in your next list. So that much you seem to understand.

But in that second list the 'b' item is mixing up object attributes like color (the defaults for which are stored separately for strokes, fills, the two text object types, etc.) & app settings like for performance & other preferences which are set in application preferences.

In addition, in your first list above the 'x' item has nothing to do with object attribute defaults nor anything in the Edit > Defaults submenu. If you want to reset UI elements, for some that can be done in Preferences > Miscellaneous; for a more comprehensive list, try restarting with the CTRL key held down.

Affinity Photo 

What does Edit > Defaults > Synchronize from selected.... actually synchronise?

What does Edit > Defaults > Save.... actually save?

What does Edit > Defaults > Revert.... actually revert?

What does Edit > Defaults > Factory Reset.... actually reset?

The answer to the above it seems is NOT "everything"... or is it for some of those?

On 7/9/2021 at 7:40 PM, walt.farrell said:

...probably doesn't do what you think... [ explaining Factory reset doesn't reset everything ]

If the answer is not "everything", then what subsets of defaults are synchronised / saved / reverted / reset? That's what I'm trying to get to.

The word "Defaults" includes lots of settings including those called "preferences", accessed via Affinity Publisher > Preferences. They ARE defaults too.

I do not quite understand what you find so difficult to understand about what I'm asking. There's obviously a complete miscommunication here, or you don't understand enough to help because what I'm asking is over your head (no insult intended, none of us can be expert in everything). So let's park it.

3 minutes ago, ProDesigner said:

The word "Defaults" includes lots of settings including those called "preferences", accessed via Affinity Publisher > Preferences. They ARE defaults too.

But they are not object defaults.

Affinity Photo 

23 minutes ago, ProDesigner said:

What does Edit > Defaults > Synchronize from selected.... actually synchronise?

The attributes of the object type currently selected -- that's why it is greyed out if there is no object selected. This is explained in the "To synchronize defaults to current selection" part of the help topic:

320804660_tosync.jpg.ff043534ebff6caf838e69ed2b82c56f.jpg

31 minutes ago, ProDesigner said:

What does Edit > Defaults > Save.... actually save?

The default attributes for the current object type. From the help:

531202832_tosave.jpg.f4eb041d9473f4cda6b7bc37271ab065.jpg

40 minutes ago, ProDesigner said:

What does Edit > Defaults > Revert.... actually revert?

Again, it is the attributes of the current object type. From the 'to save' help above, note the relationship between syncing (a temporary, current document only setting), reverting to the current saved attributes, & saving the attribute defaults.

46 minutes ago, ProDesigner said:

What does Edit > Defaults > Factory Reset.... actually reset?

As with the others, it is the attributes of the ... you guessed it ... current object type

The easiest way to get a feel for how all this works is to try it on a scratch document. For instance, draw a shape like a rectangle, set its fill & stroke attributes to something different from the initial values & use Edit > Defaults > Save to make them the new defaults. Do the same for frame text & artistic text, maybe using radically different colors. Close the document without saving, restart the app, open a new scratch document & note that each of the defaults you saved are now in effect.

Do the same but just use Edit > Defaults > Synchronize from selected to change the attributes. Create a few more objects, then use the revert item to return to the saved values. Finally, use the factory reset to change the object type's attributes back to the factory values.

Affinity Photo 

Thank you for taking the time to do that @R C-R, I really appreciate it, I do.

You'll be interested to know, it's the bits you've added (not included in the standard Help docs) that helped me grasp some important things.

Is the Topic below connected, does it shed light on this Topic/thread... or is it entirely something else?

(It prompted my "Two requests" question above, timeline wise. I felt "just clear everything" would resolve whatever I was seeing, so requested that here. It also prompted a lot of doubt and questions about where settings are stored, accessed and updated. Altogether, not helping. I debated adding the observations to this thread and decided - wisely or unwisely - that it was more likely to complicate this thread further, and that it might not even connected)

1 hour ago, ProDesigner said:

Is the Topic below connected, does it shed light on this Topic/thread... or is it entirely something else?

I think it is somewhat related, at least to the extent that you need to create a text style if you want to sync to it or save it as the new default.

"[No Style]" is -- to the extent I understand it -- the absence of a character or paragraph style, which I think is why if you right click on its options menu in the Text Styles panel, the "Remove Styles from Paragraphs/Characters" options are both ticked & can't be changed if there is no text selected in the document.

Affinity Photo