You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer for Windows Desktop - Request for Brush Size to go below 1.0

I love Affinity Designer for the most part, but not being able to use smaller brush sizes below 1.0 on the Windows Desktop version is very frustrating. Especially because the iPad version, which I also own, does this perfectly. When I do my drawing and design work, I like to zoom in really far and do detail work, so having this feature in the Windows Desktop version would be great. Please add this functionality. Thanks!

John

• Staff

Hi @JESTRANGE,

Many thanks for your feedback here :)

I can confirm that the iPad is actually incorrect here, as the Brush width should not be able to be set below 1px, as you have found is the case on the desktop version.

Therefore I am logging this inconsistency with our developers now, however I have made clear on this request that you're asking for the option to be added to the desktop, rather than removed from the iPad - it's now with our developers to allow them to decide the best course of action.

I hope this helps!

Hi, I understand that it is not appropriate to use a width below 1px for raster graphics, but I used this option a lot in Corel for vector graphics. I don't like when something restricts me. I feel free when I have the ability to go to infinite accuracy :) ps. translated by google, i don't speak very good english.

I agree with Frederik. This request is actually for Vector Brushes and Vector Layers / Vector Modes. I would not expect Raster Brushes or Raster Layers to be below one pixel.

With Vector Point Sizes (not pixels), I would expect brushes to go below 1.0, just like other vector design programs can do such as Clip Studio, Adobe Illustrator, and Corel Draw. In fact it might be good to have the option to change from Pixel mode to Vector/Point mode, so you can do this separately.

What is interesting is that you can currently select your line artwork and choose to scale it below 1.0 point sizes under the Stroke tab (see attached image); so this functionality is somewhat already there in AD. :) It just sucks to have to draw artwork in a larger size format and then manually change all the brush strokes to be below 1.0 stroke point size.

With near infinite zoom in AD (which is super awesome), this 'below 1.0 scale' functionality is really necessary to get your detail work in without having to scale everything up by 1000x.

Affinity_Designer_Brush_Stroke_Width_Change_Below_One.png

12 hours ago, JESTRANGE said:

I would also like to request that the Vector Brush Sizes and Stroke Width/Size go below one decimal (e.g. 0.25, 0.01, 0.125, 0.005). One one thousandth decimal precision would be great! :)

That's already possible, for brushes,  in the desktop application:
image.png.e53188cf692082a801bb4a3b2c64e79d.png

image.png.b2f85710f947ac52ed862db4fa757be9.png

It does not seem to be possible for stroke widths, though.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1