You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Informal design workshop idea

I received an email today from Pantone. It is basically advertising products, yet has a link to an article too.

Here is a link to the web version of the article.

https://www.pantone.com/articles/colors/bucolic

I appreciate that if this post were just about the article that it should then have been posted in the Resources section, but the reason that I am posting here in the Share your work section is in the hope that readers might be inspired to produce and post in this thread something made with an Affinity software program using one or more colours from only that palette. I know that the colours in the palette are displayed up front using the Fashion and Home nomenclature, but each of them, upon clicking, gives RGB colour data, though with a caveat that may or may not be important here (discuss?).

Pantone often publicise a palette and a few are liked from that web page.

I wonder to what extent people use them.

Does anyone here ever use the palettes that are published by Pantone, whether for real work, or for fun, or maybe just to learn and gain experience?

William

rr

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

25 minutes ago, William Overington said:

I appreciate that if this post were just about the article that it should then have been posted in the Resources section,

The Resources section is primarily for sharing resources (e.g. custom palettes, brushes, assets, or product mock-ups).

27 minutes ago, William Overington said:

but the reason that I am posting here in the Share your work section is in the hope that readers might be inspired to produce and post in this thread something made with an Affinity software program using one or more colours from only that palette.

Why not start the ball rolling with something that you’ve made?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 hours ago, Alfred said:

Why not start the ball rolling with something that you’ve made?

Yes, I will try to do that.

I did not do anything up front so that I did not have a start on anyone else.

I am trying to think of something to produce.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

Please note that the email arrived at 13:29 pm. I did not read it until some time later. I then had a look at the Pantone article, then thought of having this thread and then wrote the text and posted it. So no time to have produced anything before I posted the first post in this thread. Had I thought of an idea and produced an image before posting then the thread would not have started when it did.

William

7 hours ago, William Overington said:

I wonder to what extent people use them.

For example, after year of proposing cover colors for a book, I found easier to propose more than one or two, to get a feeling aboyt which "color direction" the 4 clients in this project would agreed upon and accept. Using Pantone's palette of colors for the current year was simpler than looking at all the.previous publications and in the "Pantonnier" (Pantone color samples) to find new ones...

Once a color/tone was selected, I propose again 4-5 colors near the one selected, unless everyone agreed unanimously for one of those first colors.

7 hours ago, William Overington said:

Does anyone here ever use the palettes that are published by Pantone, whether for real work, or for fun, or maybe just to learn and gain experience?

Not really, but when I was drawing, I constituted some sort of "book" with full pages from magazines (mostly decoration), with again some interesting tones and color schemes. When I had a project in mind, usually with ideas about the colors too, I would check the book for an picture using those tones, and would begin with those.

Today, you've got a lot of sites you can use to upload a picture/or with exsmples, and it'll give you as many colors for a palette as you need from it.

Pantone, like Letraset were usefull tools (we keep on using Pantone today).

So where to begin.

How about Parchment as the background colour as the white of the paper is not in the palette.

https://www.pantone.com/color-finder/13-0908-TCX/

Start by producing a portrait format Affinity Designer document 1571 pixels wide by 2171 pixels high, measuring in pixels, at 300 dots per inch. Save as bucolic_art1.afdesign.

Thus if I so choose, the artwork could be used to produce a hardcopy card using the following customizable template, with details of the artwork in the greetings section of the card, the greeting probably typeset in 18 point Garamond with letter spacing of 1.0 and line height of 1.2, with black ink. Using the artwork directly instead of a photograph.

https://www.papier.com/portrait-photo-315

That artwork size is for a 7 inch high by 5 inch wide card, with a 3 millimetre wide bleed area along each edge.

So I need to make the filled rectangle greater than that size so that if I export a jpg file of the artwork for the purpose of ordering a card, then the colour will cover all of the card and all of the bleed areas.

I may well need that rectangle to be in a layer of its own so as to avoid it moving if I try to draw upon it.

For images in this thread I can export png files 400 pixels wide.

William

So draw the rectangle, then use the transform panel as follows, with measurement based on the top left corner.

X= -50 pixels

Y= -50 pixels

W= 1671 pixels

H= 2271 pixels.

Mix the Parchment colour and fill the rectangle with that colour.

RGB 223, 209, 190

bucolic_art1.png.9a1c75a75cbc4cc8fa6657211145e317.png

William

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

1571 pixels wide by 2171 pixels high, measuring in pixels, at 300 dots per inch

Why not let Affinity Designer handle the calculations? If you want the card to be 7 inches high by 5 inches wide at 300 DPI and with a bleed of 0.125 inches, set up the document accordingly.

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Why not let Affinity Designer handle the calculations? If you want the card to be 7 inches high by 5 inches wide at 300 DPI and with a bleed of 0.125 inches, set up the document accordingly.

Because when I first started doing artwork for hardcopy printing using the greetings cards I did not understand how to do bleed areas. There was a thread and I may have got it wrong somehow but I did not seem to be able that way to get the colour into the bleed area. It was just before this computer went wrong with its wifi and I could not get on the internet until I managed to get a new computer and quarantine it. Prepandemic when I needed a new computer I rang Currys and a helpful lady there helped me choose a new computer and it arrived here the next day. This time I telephoned but due to the pandemic Currys was only accepting orders over the internet, but I had no internet access. When I got online again I decided that I wanted to get on with making the cards, so I built the bleed areas directly into the artwork rather than continuing to try to get it to work 'properly', if that is the way to put it.

That approach worked and I now have various hardcopy prints that I have framed.

I will try to find the thread and maybe I can make a fresh effort to learn how to solve the problem, if indeed it can be solved such that the colour goes into the bleed areas.

William

51 minutes ago, Wosven said:

As @Alfred
said, you can begin working on a.portrait or paysage format, and once finished perhaps you'll resize, crop or modify your design to get it more interesting.

Worging in AD with vectors will allow this easily.

https://www.lexico.com/definition/paysage

I had not met that word before. Please note the pronunciation.

https://www.lexico.com/definition/paysagist

Pronunciation?

William

2 hours ago, William Overington said:

https://www.lexico.com/definition/paysage

I had not met that word before. Please note the pronunciation.

The word is French in origin, as is its pronunciation. @Wosven is French, too, which might explain why she used that word!

As noted on the linked page, /ˈpeɪzədʒɪst/ in IPA notation. Informally, PAY-zuh-jist.

Alfred spacer.png

On 3/2/2021 at 7:45 PM, William Overington said:

It was a jpg, 7 inches by 5 inches, 300 dots per inch, CMYK, with a 3 mm bleed area on each edge.

I worked using pixel measurements and used 2171 pixels by 1571 pixels.

The three millimetre bleed is a metric thing. If you’re working in inches the bleed should be one eighth of an inch, yielding pixel dimensions of 2175 by 1575 for your example.

Alfred spacer.png

Previously I mentioned the following link.

https://www.papier.com/portrait-photo-315

There is also a landscape full field customizable card template.

https://www.papier.com/landscape-photo-313

There are other photo templates available.

https://www.papier.com/photos/photo-cards

More generally, there are other templates, customizable by the greeting, but a fixed image on the front. As cards can be sent direct to a recipient as an option, that is a very useful option for anyone who has difficulty getting to a post box due to the pandemic or more generally.

https://www.papier.com/cards/all-cards/

William

1 hour ago, Wosven said:

Sorry, my internal translation app bugs sometimes, lol

It should have been "landscape".

Mais non Madame.

I have learned a new word today.

A gentleman I worked for in the 1970s said "A day when you don't learn something is a day wasted."

William

23 minutes ago, Alfred said:

The three millimetre bleed is a metric thing. If you’re working in inches the bleed should be one eighth of an inch, yielding pixel dimensions of 2175 by 1575 for your example.

Well, Papier uses metric measurements. In fact the card size is expressed in metric measurements too, but they appear to be a translation from Imperial to metric. I was advised to use 3 millimetres, so I did.

William

So, save as bucolic_art2.afdesign and set the margins to be 35 pixels at left and top and 36 pixels at right and bottom, so that the area within the margins is the rea of the picture without the bleed areas.

Start a new layer so that the background does not move if I add something to the image.

Add a circle and fill it with whatever is the default colour and give it a zero width line.

Now position and resize the filled circle.

X= 235

Y= 235

W= 300

H= 300

Refer back to the Pantone palette web page.

Click on Mineral Yellow.

Note that Mineral Yellow is RGB = 211, 156, 67

Make the fill colour of the circle Mineral Yellow.

Export the image as bucolic_art2.png, as a png file of width 400 pixels.

bucolic_art2.png.2002ec7fad83153624b38cafc96ceff4.png

William

3 hours ago, William Overington said:

So, save as bucolic_art2.afdesign and set the margins to be 35 pixels at left and top and 36 pixels at right and bottom, so that the area within the margins is the rea of the picture without the bleed areas.

Did you have a particular reason for attaching an image instead of your saved *.afdesign file? :/

W= 300

H= 3Refer back to the Pantone palette web page.

Finger trouble??

Alfred spacer.png

49 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Did you have a particular reason for attaching an image instead of your saved *.afdesign file? :/

Not really. Just adding images as I go on.

49 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Finger trouble??

Yes. Together with lack of checking.

William

51 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Finger trouble??

11 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Yes. Together will lack of checking.

Oh, the irony! :D

The screenshot below (showing the bleed guides and settings) is from AD on iPad.

E028165C-4302-4020-8EFE-3175A5A2CFF0.jpeg.d8ecc381e48787d7b21ffdc58c413419.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png