You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo: horizontal & vertical lines using Paint Brush Tool?

Hi,

is there a way to draw horizontal/vertical lines using the Paint brush tool that is as simple as for example in Paint.net, where you just press shift and draw using the line tool?

AFAIK line tool is not present in Affinity Photo.

Do I really have to go thru all the steps necessary to achieve this simple thing using the Pen tool? Isn't there a more "normal" way, pls?´By "normal" I mean a way that requires less than a minimum of 7 clicks to draw a horizontal line, which seems to me a little bit overkill for something this simple.

Many than in advance for any kind help!

Best regards,

:)

K

5 hours ago, K2021 said:

Do I really have to go thru all the steps necessary to achieve this simple thing using the Pen tool? Isn't there a more "normal" way, pls?´By "normal" I mean a way that requires less than a minimum of 7 clicks to draw a horizontal line, which seems to me a little bit overkill for something this simple.

Obviously, it seems to be a matter of perspective:
For me, using pixel tools is always the p.i.t.a. Not the vector tools. ;)

Anyway…

To draw straight pixel lines, there is a slightly awkward "secret handshake" that involves pressing and holding the Shift key immediately after you start dragging.
(I'd suggest that classically trained pianists with lots of Chopin études practice may have a certain motoric advantage here. For me as a blues guitarist, less so…)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

What a beautifully composed reply👍

Thank you for that!

The technique that you've suggested has a somewhat unpleasant side-effect though. It joins the beginning of the new line with the last location, the Paint brush tool was used at before. Can we get around that?

Best regards,

K

1 hour ago, K2021 said:

a somewhat unpleasant side-effect though. It joins the beginning of the new line with the last location

That's exactly the "awkward" part: The sequence of click/drag/hold/press matters.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

I could never get bored drawing straight lines.

They are so... unpredictable.

Thank you for being able to explain this feature even to me 😄

The fact that you need to click first, then press shift, then draw is not very intuitive to me. Hard to do with a pen, but fortunately I am also an owner of a mouse, which is more attuned to this kind of tablet gymnastics.

Many thanks!!

Best regards and strong health!

K

28 minutes ago, K2021 said:

They are so... unpredictable.

Hence vector.
Keep in mind that Photo has exactly the same basic vector capabilities and tools as Designer and Publisher, and you can always add more features to your afphoto document using the latter two.
So many options to create "pixel art" non-destructively with vector:

aph_vector_pixels.thumb.png.2129a225d0623a5894f6c3b203b75648.png

My favorite trick: "Antialiasing: Force OFF" for vector "1-bit art".

• 3 weeks later...

@loukash

This a beautiful tutorial and I will try it. Thank you! (nebo mám napsat Díky! ? :)

I might add that I am still a bit pessimistic as even paint.net seems so much arrow-friendlier than AP, but I will give this a reasonable shot.

Many thanks again!!

K