You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shortcut to go to next Studio tab?

What do you mean by "tab"? Open documents?

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

I see. Yeah, that would be handy!

What you can do (and what I did) is to assign individual keyboard shortcuts to each panel that you're frequently using in View > Studio, then open each panel by that shortcut:

apu_studio_menu.png.c5c1a581a6a4237489919bd9979aa902.png

Also, I have released an Automator plugin that can open all panels that are currently closed (i.e. without the ✓ mark):

I might try to figure out another script that would actually cycle between them. I already have a vague idea how it could work… :)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

2 hours ago, loukash said:

Also, I have released an Automator plugin that can open all panels that are currently closed (i.e. without the ✓ mark):

Affinity doesn't have scripting built in, I never thought about using another app to create some scripting functionality. I'm on Windows and use Auto Hot Keys for a few tasks; I might look at using it for some things in Affinity.

5 hours ago, james948 said:

Is there a shortcut to go to the next tab in the studio window? I'm working on a 13 inch MacBook and I'm squishing things together to save space but it means it's hard to read. I'd like to be able to cycle through the tabs. 

Have you looked at creating Studio Presets? It might be a way to toggle through the different panels that will work for you.

Just now, Amdival said:

I'm on Windows and use Auto Hot Keys for a few tasks; I might look at using it for some things in Affinity.

I don't have much experience with Windows, so I can't help you with that.
On Mac, all that Affinity can respond to are the MacOS "Accessibility" features. That means all main menu commands and many UI elements are scriptable as virtual "mouse clicks", plus more or less all keyboard commands. However, there are further limits because Serif has chosen to use many non-standard UI elements, likely for crossplatform compatibility and "consistency".

1 minute ago, Amdival said:

creating Studio Presets? It might be a way to toggle through the different panels

In theory yes.
In practice there is a known issue (can't find the thread link right now) that while it is possible to assign keyboard shortcuts to custom presets, they will neither work nor stick upon relaunch, and may even crash the app.

30 minutes ago, loukash said:

In theory yes.
In practice there is a known issue (can't find the thread link right now) that while it is possible to assign keyboard shortcuts to custom presets, they will neither work nor stick upon relaunch, and may even crash the app.

I think those bugs might have been ironed out. I have shortcuts assigned to the presets (Ctrl+Shift+1 - Ctrl+Shift+9) I'm not sure if I assigned them, or if those are default. When I create a preset, it automatically gets a hot-key. Those shortcuts also persists after restart.

I do not use these Presets in my workflow, BUT now that I am reminded of them, I will likely try to set them up. That being said, yes there might be crash-causing bugs unknown to me.

One huge issue for me with Affinity is needing more on the screen than can comfortably fit on a 1920x1080 display and no ideal way to navigate it all. It's a little cumbersome.

1 minute ago, Amdival said:

I think those bugs might have been ironed out.

Perhaps it's a Mac only bug.

The only problem with assigning them for me is that I want to use a trackpad gesture to go from one to the next; cycle through. 

Three fingers down moves me to new tabs in Safari and all other apps that have tabs. It's sort of muscle memory now. 

Either that or Apple needs to release a proper 5K consumer display. 

16 minutes ago, james948 said:

I want to use a trackpad gesture

This is probably too hardware specific, so it will unlikely happen on app level.
I don't know if there's a utility than can translate multi-finger gestures to keyboard shortcuts or other commands. E.g. looking at Keyboard Maestro macro actions, I don't see a trigger by trackpad gesture there.

20 minutes ago, james948 said:

Three fingers down moves me to new tabs in Safari and all other apps that have tabs.

Tabs as in document tabs! ;)
Hence my initial question:

3 hours ago, loukash said:

What do you mean by "tab"? Open documents?

E.g. on my MBP mid-2012, the three-fingers gesture is for click-and-drag that can be activated in the Accessibility preferences. That works globaly, including Affinity. I'm using it all the time.
Document tab switching is usually done by ctrl-tab (I think; or is it my custom shortcut? don't remember, been using it since many years), and that works also for open documents in Affinity.

Whereas the Affinity panels are non-standard UI elements anyway. They are hard enough to even target by UI scripting (the aforementioned Accessibility features), so don't even expect there any features available in "Safari and all other apps that have tabs"…

1 minute ago, loukash said:

looking at Keyboard Maestro macro actions, I don't see a trigger by trackpad gesture there.

There is a gesture trigger where you can draw a specific gesture with your input device to execute a macro. That's about it.

17 minutes ago, loukash said:

I don't know if there's a utility than can translate multi-finger gestures to keyboard shortcuts or other commands. E.g. looking at Keyboard Maestro macro actions, I don't see a trigger by trackpad gesture there.

I haven't used a Mac in many years, but when I did, I used Better Touch Tool. It expands the usability a lot!