You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Constant Affinity Photo bug

Hello good afternoon!
My Affinity Photo has a constant bug that crashes to the point that I only use it for 2 to 3 minutes and crashes. So I have to close and open it again. Unfortunately, sometimes I can't even save my progress. This is upsetting me a lot because I waste a lot of time. Can anyone help me?

Below is the configuration of my PC.

Windows 10 Home
Laptop: Asus X512FJ-EJ228T
Processor: i7-8565U
Memory: 8.00 GB
Operating system: 64-bit
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce MX230
Affinity Photo: 1.9.2.1035

Edited by JoaoHenriv

Hello, sorry for not bringing the answer, I just happen to have the exact same problem...

Affinity Photo just shuts down randomly every 5-10 minutes, sometimes it takes longer... and I've got to save my progress every minute or so because I don't know what causes the bug nor when it'll happen.

It started since the Affinity Photo latest version I think, I'm on Win10 Home also (up to date). So right now I'm moving on to a previous build 1.9.1 (hopefully that one was still saved in my Download folder, since I can't get access to older builds otherwise...) and hope that it'll help me get my work done quicker 😊 (I'll keep you informed if it works for me)

At first, I thought this was an issue with allocated RAM (the number were above my total RAM, which is 6 GB, I lowered it to 4 GB maximum), it seemed to work fine for one day or two, but the issue went back. Also, note that I deactivated hardware acceleration because my graphics card is a potato. Aside for that, feel free to ask me other questions !

My specs: 

Windows 10 Home 64bits
Processor i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz   3.40 GHz
Memory : 6 GB
Graphics : Radeon R9 200 series
Affinity Photo : 1.9.2

Thanks for reading ! Best regards.

Gratitude for helping people.

In fact hardware acceleration was enabled, I disabled it and apparently the problem solved I am more than 5 minutes away and it didn't crash.

Unfortunately for you CHROMO, as you have already disabled this function. I really do not know how I can help you, I will wait to see if this problem of mine was solved in fact only with this adjustment, but if it occurs again I will contact you in the forum.

The only things I did besides deactivating this function of Affinity Photo was cleaning the folders (temp,% temp% and prefetch). But I also don't think it interfered with anything.

Gratitude!

@Crom Hello and welcome to the Forum.

Can you provide a crash report? To do so. Press Windows key + R. Write %appdata%\affinity\photo\1.0\crashreports\reports in to the input field and click OK button.

If there is more than one .dmp file, the file with the latest timestamp will be fine. Also the log.txt can be helpful. You find them in the 1.0 folder.

Edited by Komatös
corrections

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Good Morning! Gratitude for the help!
Following the steps of the command you gave, you did not find anything referring to Affinity Photo, it appeared from Affinity Designer only. And there was only one file referring to Log.txt, the .dmp file did not.

Hello @JoaoHenriv, if deactivated hardware acceleration works in photo than it works in designer either. And if no dump file was created, that means that designer was'nt the culprit.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!