You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×
Our response time is longer than usual currently. We're working to answer users as quickly as possible and thank you for your continued patience.

Custom brush applies with block border on mask

I created a custom brush using New Brush from Selection. It's fine if i paint on a regular pixel layer but if I use it on a mask, it paints as a block with the shape inside, almost like it's been inverted.

Steps I used to create the brush:

• Create a new pixel layer
  • Create an outline with the freehand lasso
  • Fill selection with black
  • Brush Panel > New Brush from Selection (both with an active selection and without)
  • Edited brush dynamics (also tried without editing)

AP: 1.9.3

Mac: 

image.png.a5440d769b580b001c70cf321a3969c4.png

Mask brush.jpg

• Staff

Hi @David Asch,
The New Brush From Selection command creates an image brush, not an intensity brush thus it can't be used in a mask. You can still create an intensity brush from a selection following those steps.
Assuming you have painted with black as in your screenshot above:
-  invert the pixel layer going to menu Layer > Invert 
- convert the pixel layer to a mask going to menu Layer > Rasterise To Mask (the brush will be created with the same size as your document if you use the New brush from selection command at this point) which you don't want.
- to work around the size issue copy the (now converted) mask layer to the clipboard
- go to menu File > New from Clipboard to generate a document the same size of the mask.
- still in that new document go to the Brushes panel and use the New Brush From Selection command to add it to the Brushes panel
You can then use it on your original document in a mask as you originally intended.

I understand it would be nice to be able to select the type of brush we create using that command without going through that trouble. I'm filling an improvement request for this. Thanks for your report/feedback.

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi @David Asch,
The New Brush From Selection command creates an image brush, not an intensity brush thus it can't be used in a mask. You can still create an intensity brush from a selection following those steps.
Assuming you have painted with black as in your screenshot above:
-  invert the pixel layer going to menu Layer > Invert 
- convert the pixel layer to a mask going to menu Layer > Rasterise To Mask (the brush will be created with the same size as your document if you use the New brush from selection command at this point) which you don't want.
- to work around the size issue copy the (now converted) mask layer to the clipboard
- go to menu File > New from Clipboard to generate a document the same size of the mask.
- still in that new document go to the Brushes panel and use the New Brush From Selection command to add it to the Brushes panel
You can then use it on your original document in a mask as you originally intended.

I understand it would be nice to be able to select the type of brush we create using that command without going through that trouble. I'm filling an improvement request for this. Thanks for your report/feedback.

Perfect, thanks!