You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi

Hope someone can help me......

1 When I open a new file in APhoto, why is there no automatic first layer created ( PShop = Background[locked] )?

2 I can find inner & outer shadow, is there a 'drop shadow'?

3 Autosave, if a new file has not been saved manually and I make a right mess of it, how do you get to the autosave version?

4 Is there always only one autosave version i.e. - it overwrites itself?

5 Can autosave be disabled?

Thanks all!........ :)

• Staff

Hi tonyt,

1. There's no particular reason. Sometimes you may not want a new empty layer to start with. When you drag an image to Affinity Photo for example it automatically becomes the Background layer (locked by default) and you work from there. We don't do the same as Photoshop just for the sake of doing the same thing.

2. Click on the FX icon (Layer Effects) in the Layers panel and select Outer Shadow.

3. Go to the History panel and drag the slider back to where you want it. Affinity never rewrites (autosave) your file unless you explicitly say so doing a File ▸ Save. Alternatively close the file without saving it and open it again.

4. There's no autosave in the sense that Affinity never saves (overwrites) your file without your "consent". What does exist is an auto backup function that saves part of the file's content in another location in case the application crashes. This information is then used to restore your work after the crash.

5. No there's no way to disable "auto backup". You can only set the File Recovery Interval in the Preferences, that is, the interval of time that Affinity takes to "auto backup" the file. The default is set to 5 minutes, so that's the maximum interval of work time you will lose in case of a crash. The minimum is 30 seconds.