Jump to content
You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Recreating PS clipped Layers in Photo


Recommended Posts

I bought a PSD mockup that opens in Photo fine, with a few differences in color but that's okay. The main thing I can't get to work right is the the way PS does their clipping layer. I can't seem to make it look like it does in PS in Photo. The screenshots are from the apps, but the way Photo does is different of course. The big square overlay should be clipped inside the Text layer and I simply cannot make it happen. I would share the file but that would infringe on the copyright of the art I'm sure

PS version of layers

685162508_ScreenShot2021-04-09at1_49_01PM.png.3614edd7e7b207391638f8bd9c133a8b.png

Photo's version

314744558_ScreenShot2021-04-09at1_48_11PM.png.d8112d440e22adc9e1a663c069575f69.png.

 

 

The way it looks in Photo. How would I correct this?

127110490_ScreenShot2021-04-09at1_55_43PM.png.aca1ae46ed8224fad84117d185eae82e.png

 

The way it looks in PS and supposed to look.

Screen_Shot_2021-04-09_at_1_57.39_PM.thumb.png.13b78cd894369e7afc9ee2e965bfcd19.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Staff

Hi @evtonic3,

Our apologies for the delayed response here!

The easiest way for me to help here is with a copy of the PSD file, I understand you are concerned with copyright issues, so I will provide a dropbox link below where you can upload the file privately and as soon as we are done testing the file I will have it removed from our systems in order to protect the rights of the original creator.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/wTKx6G0sSNKyU9nDeMkj

Once uploaded, please let me know and I'll provide my best suggestions for you :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Understood, I have tried the tutorial and discovered that from my attempts I too was unable to have the exact results without using a layer masks for the font layer. 

But was able to replicate the look, however would be unable to change the font types without again applying a layer mask.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

https://recordit.co/Qo17ps9iLy

My attempt at it link above, however using a mask and as you mentioned, I was unable to clip the layer to the layer effects group [like in Photoshop] as seen in the video and apply the hard mix blend mode to the layer to replicate the results in the video -- 

Therefore unable to change the text font without having to reapply a selection on the text layer and then mask the texture layer. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, jaedee said:

I was unable to clip the layer to the layer effects group [like in Photoshop] as seen in the video

That's because unlike in PS CC, you can't isolate the layer effects by clipping the ink structure layer to the parent group only.
As a consolation though, you can't do that in PS CS5.1 either… Must be a newer PS CC feature. (Mmh… I wonder if it would have been worth the hundreds and hundreds of bucks I would have paid to Schmadobe in the past eight years…?)

But…

7 hours ago, jaedee said:

Therefore unable to change the text font without having to reapply a selection on the text layer and then mask the texture layer

… forget about pixel masks!
We have other workflows which will yield much better and essentially non-destructive results than masks, at only minor additional "expenses":

Linked layers!

  1. duplicate the text layer as linked
  2. disable all links but "Text content"
  3. disable all effects on the linked layer
  4. clip the ink texture with the linked text duplicate (optionally either lock or unlock children via toolbar checkbox)
  5. all text content remains fully editable and in sync on both text layers
  6. if you need to move the text but not the ink texture, make sure to select both text layers while having Lock Children checkbox active

Now…
That's all fine and great, but there are still a few other issues:

  • The biggest issue being that the Affinity's Fill Opacity does not affect the Hard Mix the same way as PS does, where Hard Mix is one of the "magical eight" blend modes. While at least six of those fill opacity blend modes are replicable in Affinity by other means, I haven't found anyone on the world wide Intervebz who would have figured out how the math of the "Hard Mix Fill Opacity" in PS works. For sure is that it's not the same algorithm as the regular Hard Mix Layer Opacity.
    Anyway… tl;dr, don't bother trying to reproduce this fine-tuning trick in Affinity, it won't work.
    The good news is that you can apply a variety of other effects, live filters or adjustments to achieve somewhat similar results. Be creative!
  • The other issue is that Affinity displays and exports antialiasing pixel-wide artifacts caused by the Inner Shadow effect on the text. Can be a problem. Still looking for a workaround.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2 // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16.6 > Affinity v2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jaedee said:

Impressive. 

Thanks!

Also, perhaps some of you might have noticed that my example actually was an afpub document, edited in the Photo Persona.
After all, this is about typography!
I may be adding fancy pixel gimmicks, but primarily I want Publisher's powerful typography tools handy here. :)

In other words, the real Affinity "killer feature" is the Studio Link paired with the universal document format.
Take that, Schmadobe!

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2 // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16.6 > Affinity v2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, loukash said:

Affinity displays and exports antialiasing pixel-wide artifacts caused by the Inner Shadow effect on the text. Can be a problem. Still looking for a workaround.

Here's a quick'n'easy fix:

 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2 // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16.6 > Affinity v2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, loukash said:

The biggest issue being that the Affinity's Fill Opacity does not affect the Hard Mix the same way as PS does, where Hard Mix is one of the "magical eight" blend modes. While at least six of those fill opacity blend modes are replicable in Affinity by other means, I haven't found anyone on the world wide Intervebz who would have figured out how the math of the "Hard Mix Fill Opacity" in PS works. For sure is that it's not the same algorithm as the regular Hard Mix Layer Opacity.

An the winner is:

Source Layer Blend Ranges!

Don't know if there's some undocumented "blend if" math going on in Photoshop – seems so – but the result here is pretty similar.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2 // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16.6 > Affinity v2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 4/16/2021 at 5:15 AM, Dan C said:

Hi @evtonic3,

Our apologies for the delayed response here!

The easiest way for me to help here is with a copy of the PSD file, I understand you are concerned with copyright issues, so I will provide a dropbox link below where you can upload the file privately and as soon as we are done testing the file I will have it removed from our systems in order to protect the rights of the original creator.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/wTKx6G0sSNKyU9nDeMkj

Once uploaded, please let me know and I'll provide my best suggestions for you :)

@Dan C Hi never heard from again after sending this file over. Any luck?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Staff
17 hours ago, evtonic3 said:

Hi never heard from again after sending this file over. Any luck?

Apologies, I was awaiting confirmation that the file had been uploaded. I've had a look now for you and I believe I know the cause/solution for you here - 

This issue is due to how Affinity Photo handles SmartObjects when importing PSD files, as any SmartObject is replaced with an Embedded document, which acts differently from a normal layer.

This means you need to Cut the 'effect' Pixel layer shown in the below screenshot-

On 4/9/2021 at 8:17 PM, evtonic3 said:

314744558_ScreenShot2021-04-09at1_48_11PM.png.d8112d440e22adc9e1a663c069575f69.png.

Then open the Embedded document by double clicking on it and Paste the effect layer here. Resize it to suit and then nest it within the Pixel text layer, so it only affects the characters.

image.png

Close the embedded document to return to the main file, where you should now see the correct effect on the text -

PSDmockup.jpg

I hope this clears things up :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.