You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

gre_sch

Hi all,

I created a design based on running data that I collected during the last 10 years. I am rather a data scientist than a designer and also a beginner in using Affinity Designer. Nevertheless, I thought I post the results here to get some feedback on this. Highly appreciated. 

You will find the whole work and its description in my medium article: https://towardsdatascience.com/create-beautiful-art-from-your-personal-data-9dc0abfeeaf

Again, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thank you and all the best

Gregor

2021-03_Running_Art_v02_one.jpg

Love it, message is clear, colours are great, also the choice of the font (great mixture between stylish and playful). The only thing I'd change is adding some more consistency to the lines leading to different circles. Sometimes they "don't hit"—just point the direction, sometimes they aim at the centre, sometimes they even "overshot" a circle. I'd target them all alike. Either all like the red one or all ending in a circle, aimed at the same position within (i. e. centre of the circle). The "changed the job"-one can stay as is, of course, as it's not connected to any point which is represented by a circle.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

I have just been reading your article to which you provide a link. If I may say so, your style of providing detailed information about the steps you took and the specific choices you made is great - people can follow your steps if they choose.

I notice that in that article you write as follows.

Clearly, I am out of my league here, but it allowed me to try something new and I could definitely learn more about vector editors.

Yet it now is in your league.

It gives me the idea that I could perhaps use an SVG file written directly in WordPad to produce computer art.

Sort of programming the image as source text and then Affinity Designer could effectively run the program (that is, Affinity Designer loads an SVG file) and maybe whoosh colourful computer art.

Maybe start off with Affinity Designer, draw a rectangle, fill it with some colour and then produce an SVG file.

Copy that design and add a second rectangle, fill it with a different colour and then produce an SVG file.

Compare the two files manually.

Make a copy of the second one and then use WordPad to add more rectangles.

Save the file.

Load it into Affinity Designer.

That could be fun if I can get it to work.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.