You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

APhoto - importing RAW from GFX 100S, 16 bit files.

Weeks ago I stated a post asking is there was a way to import Fuji GFX 100S, 16 bit RAW files.
No real solutions - but got this from Affinity - 

"
March 31, 2021
Hi John,

Can you please update to the new 1.9.2 version of Affinity Photo and if you are using Windows then your camera RAW files will be supported, if you are using a Mac you will need to open the Develop Assistant and change the RAW engine from Apple Core to Serif Labs to support the RAW files.

Many thanks,
Darren @ Affinity Support
----------------
I wrote back days ago asking:
How and where is "Develop Assistant" found on a Mac as it relates to Affinity.

Never heard back from Affinity - does anyone know how to solve this - I am running 1.9.2 on Mac Pro with Big Sur OS.

Jack

Well as far as there aren't any RAW file format changes between a Fuji GFX100 and Fuji GFX100S the Affinity RAW engine might be able to process them. At least the GFX100 is listed to be supported by libraw, which Affinity uses for RAW file format processing.

For the "Develop Assistant" see ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I had the GFX 100 and traded in for  the 100S.

The 100S will produce a 16 bit raw file and I believe APhoto is screwing up on the fact they are full 16 bits - that is how the image looks to me.

Thanks for the links!  
I found Dev. Asst. and it is already set to RAW Engine:  "Serif", so that is not the problem.

6 minutes ago, CleanLivin said:

The 100S will produce a 16 bit raw file and I believe APhoto is screwing up on the fact they are full 16 bits - that is how the image looks to me.

Libraw tells this for their latest 0.20.x version (see here) ...

Camera Format support

• Fujifilm compressed/16bit

Camera support (1133 total)

• FujiFilm GFX 100, X-A7, X-Pro3, X100V, X-T4 (uncompressed and lossless compressed only), X-T200

... though it's not clear if through the whole Fuji cam line.

Otherwise you will have in the meantime (...until libraw supports a GFX 100S) to use Fuji's X RAW Studio or some other RAW converter which supports the GFX 100S.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

You have to try out different settings compressed/uncompressed etc.

Using a GFX 100S RAW file from DPreview here, I can open that and it looks Ok so far in Affinity Photo ...

fuji_gfx100s_assistent.jpg.735719c9df8b9b6143d35ce15ecf2c3b.jpg

fuji_gfx100s_raw.jpg.48eac403e47789bce1fbec0ee8c37d7b.jpg

... though I can't tell if that RAF file is compressed or not.

I would be amazed if they posted a real RAW of 16 bits with no compression on their site.

I took German back in High School but have forgotten it.  :-)

Have been to German as a adult many times but can't translate your settings from your post.

Again, here is mine.  I see no USA choice under Map Settings, interesting - did we fall off the edge of our "flat world" map?

Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 11.55.31 AM.png

2 minutes ago, CleanLivin said:

see no USA choice under Map Settings, interesting - did we fall off the edge of our "flat world" map?

There is only North America.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I would be amazed if they posted a real RAW of 16 bits with no compression on their site.

Can't tell since it isn't given as RAW file format informations there. Same here for the example RAW files from PhotographyBlog (scroll down).

You might probably can better tell if you load one of those into Fuji X RAW Studio converter app etc.

Have been to German as a adult many times but can't translate your settings from your post.

Settings are the same than yours and so they are pretty identical!

4 minutes ago, CleanLivin said:

Only program that opens it correctly is Capture One's lates release.  Even PS- CC opens it as an 8 bit file only.  DXO fails, etc. 

Well I would expect at least Fuji's own RAW converter to be able to deal with that, otherwise their software devs did something  technically wrong.

21 minutes ago, CleanLivin said:

Only program that opens it correctly is Capture One's lates release.  Even PS- CC opens it as an 8 bit file only.  DXO fails, etc. 

Not really sure what you are wanting but this is what I got, the developed image is 16 bits the raw file is 32bit and the settings I use are as follows

599469017_ScreenShot2021-04-03at9_47_21AM.png.0263c82f2c90162adb0031d2f64c06bd.png

2079721477_ScreenShot2021-04-03at9_45_27AM.thumb.png.d51c10508296729c08c589fc1a2de08a.png

891827114_ScreenShot2021-04-03at9_45_46AM.png.46160e54905c4fee85fefc98f0dc900b.png

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

Changed a few of the variables in APhoto - got a file as below - opened it up as an HDR this time.
AP image is washed out looking and not at all what the true RAW file is but at least it opened up this time.

Here is AP screen shot first, then second is Capture One RAW open - on target with the LCD on the camera back.

Screen_Shot_2021-04-03_at_12_59.43_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2021-04-03_at_1_00.54_PM.png

21 minutes ago, CleanLivin said:

Looks like the "take away" is that AP will open in HDR mode but washed out - implies they need to link up with Fuji and improve their RAW routine OR I just open with C1 and then export to Affinity - prefer their tools actually at Affinity.

As much as I like Affinity Photo there are huge disadvantages to using it for a RAW developer. I use the Canon software for some stuff, and I have problems with using it too. Nothing is working the way I wish it would. Still I don't miss the good old days with chemicals and then waiting for negatives and prints to dry.

41 minutes ago, CleanLivin said:

Looks like the "take away" is that AP will open in HDR mode but washed out - implies they need to link up with Fuji and improve their RAW routine ...

Affinity Photo opens the plain RAW and doesn't apply automatically WB correction, a possible cam set exposure compensation, sharpening, etc. Thus RAWs opened in Affinity look mostly more dull, unsharper and not that color contrasty at all etc. You would always have to apply some custom settings here for the RAW files then, since it doesn't take the vendor RAW maker exif notes into account.

Other RAW converters do apply automatically some initial settings here, especially the CAM vendors own RAW converters and the big business guys like Adobe Lightroom/Camera Raw, Capture One etc. - If I open some of my Nikon NEFs in Nikon's Capture NX-D, Lightroom, Aperture, Capture One or DxO, they always look mostly completely different, since those do also take some of the cam maker exif notes into account. Though there are some things others don't have a clue about and only Nikon's RAW converters know to handle it right!

Quality wise Affinity's RAW conversion engine is only mediocre at best and of course can't compete with the big players in the RAW converter field. It's also nothing pros with pro equipment would use to get out most of their RAW photos here! If I would shoot medium format and maybe would also have to make a living from it, I wouldn't use it at all for RAW development. - Personally I don't use Affinity Photo for RAW development!