You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Updater Tool

Hello,

I've been using Affinity on Windows 10, for a while now. Currently enjoying all bits & features it offers & recommended it to lots of friends.
I can see that Affinity is working really hard and bringing up fixes & patch updates as well as plenty of new amazing features regularly.
It's one of my tool that I've been getting so much update since the day I've enrolled my journey with Affinity.

However with updates this regularly for all the suite products which arrives weekly as I may notice, it would be great for Affinity to provide,
an updater tool which will automatically update Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher at one go and keep it updated all the time whilst not in use.

As last time I was into Designer and was using the feature "Edit in Photo", just because my Photo was not up to date! The software crashed and
therefore I've lost all my work which took nearly 2 Hours, and trying to keep with every-time downloading a .exe file then installing it over knowing
the other two tools also must be updated is really annoying and also time consuming specially if you're just got to work.

I would kindly request Affinity to have a tool to manage all it's software update for Windows 10 if possible. I don't know if I had took my Affinity
products on the Windows Store if, it would've automatically get itself updated from the store. May be it's already there but this feature would be
welcome on the classic version as well. Even if I have to install something for this I would.

Cheers to the Affinity Team! You guys are really the best!

Edited by thelittlecousin

Hi, and welcome to the forums. I like the good tone of your post. As a fellow regular forum member, I would like offer a counter opinion to one little part of your feedback, but I hope not to discourage you from further participation. Your kind and positive approach to providing feedback is very welcome.

4 hours ago, thelittlecousin said:

and keep it updated all the time whilst not in use

I would not recommend that particular aspect, and here's why: in order to keep the other apps up to date even when they are not running, there would need to be some kind of background process open in the computer even when you are not using an Affinity app.

Adobe follows that approach: try to install one little program of theirs and suddenly Adobe has its tendrils all inside the workings of the OS. For example, I restarted my computer afresh this morning, and I have not yet opened a single Adobe app since restart, yet even at this moment there are 17 open background process that I could identify as coming from Adobe, just sitting there unwelcome, siphoning away tiny pieces of memory and CPU cycles. And it gets worse when you have multiple users logged in simultaneously ("fast user switching" on Mac) as I have at home, because many of these background tasks are duplicated per user, whether they ever use Adobe anything or not.

As for Affinity apps, they do their thing when you open them, and when you close them, they do nothing more than take up storage space (unless of course I have missed something). That is a far better approach.

4 hours ago, thelittlecousin said:

The software crashed and
therefore I've lost all my work which took nearly 2 Hours

I'm sorry to hear that happened. Serif representatives might want to get more info on that crash, because ideally no user operation from within the app should result in a crash.

... I will add my opinion. Due to unsuccessfull updates many users are demanding downgrades of broken or crashing applications. Therefore, the proposed automatic updates would definitely not be beneficial for these users. And I would definitely be against it too, because due to the negative experience (just read a few posts on the forum) I postpone the update to the version without labor pains. So definitely not automatic updates for me. Despite the fact that once a year I can do those updates manually.

P. S. a lot of users buy Affinity applications on the Microsoft/Apple Store, so I guess that automatic update would be quite complicated, if at all possible.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

23 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

P. S. a lot of users buy Affinity applications on the Microsoft/Apple Store, so I guess that automatic update would be quite complicated, if at all possible.

I don't know about the Microsoft Store (which perhaps would be more relavant to the OP), but at least the Mac App Store option does make it possible for fully automatic updates (but as for me, I turn off auto updates for the Mac App Store).

2 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

but at least the Mac App Store option does make it possible for fully automatic updates

Yes, but it is a standard service of the store. But the OP requires some Affinity Update Tool, which should somehow request/enforce this function on the given Store.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.