You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Weird RAW (.nef) rendering issue

See image attached, in the bottom left corner when I open a RAW image (Nikon D800 .nef), there's a square/block that's just a re-rendered copy from another part of the image. It goes away when I close the image and open it again and only happens for the first image I open during an editing session.

image.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @omimanav,

Our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here, our team are working through a backlog of tickets so we appreciate your patience and understanding here.

This certainly isn't something I've seen being reported previously, so I'd like to request some more information here.

Can you please confirm for me:

• What location are you loading your RAW files from? (ie Photos, Files, iCloud etc)
  • Does this happen with any RAW file from this camera? (I note you mention it's only the first image you develop when opening the app)
  • If you open Affinity Photo > Settings > General > Assistant Options, what is set for RAW Engine in this dialog please? (this should either be SerifLabs or AppleCore)

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 7/8/2021 at 7:53 AM, Dan C said:

Hi @omimanav,

Our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here, our team are working through a backlog of tickets so we appreciate your patience and understanding here.

This certainly isn't something I've seen being reported previously, so I'd like to request some more information here.

Can you please confirm for me:

• What location are you loading your RAW files from? (ie Photos, Files, iCloud etc)
  • Does this happen with any RAW file from this camera? (I note you mention it's only the first image you develop when opening the app)
  • If you open Affinity Photo > Settings > General > Assistant Options, what is set for RAW Engine in this dialog please? (this should either be SerifLabs or AppleCore)

Many thanks in advance :)

raws are in the Files app stored locally (not in cloud), it happens with any raw image from this camera (D800), it’s using the AppleCore engine. No worries as I mentioned it only happens the first time I open an image.

ta,

Omi

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that for me! I've tried to replicate this here, however following the steps you've provided I'm still unable to see this rendering issue currently - 

Could you please provide a full screen recording, showing the steps you're taking within the app for this issue to appear? Before starting the screen recording, please open Affinity Photo > Settings > General > Show Touches and Enable this option, so I can see where you're pressing on the screen.

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below - 

Many thanks once again!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Many thanks for this recording, it's certainly helpful!

Unfortunately however, I've been unable to replicate this issue here using the sample images I have downloaded - even after leaving my iPad without using Affinity over the weekend.

I suspect the RAW images you have may have been taken with a different lens, or perhaps the camera has a newer firmware version installed than the sample files I have, which can cause issues with certain cameras/RAW engines.

Could you please attach one of your RAW files here for me, so I can compare these further? :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

14 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Many thanks for this recording, it's certainly helpful!

Unfortunately however, I've been unable to replicate this issue here using the sample images I have downloaded - even after leaving my iPad without using Affinity over the weekend.

I suspect the RAW images you have may have been taken with a different lens, or perhaps the camera has a newer firmware version installed than the sample files I have, which can cause issues with certain cameras/RAW engines.

Could you please attach one of your RAW files here for me, so I can compare these further? :)

sure here's the same raw file I used in the recording.

IMG_2947.NEF

• Staff
9 hours ago, Shazlipz said:

I have exactly the same issue! I have only just bought my first iPad. It’s a iPad Pro 4th generation. 12.9

4 hours ago, omimanav said:

I've got the same iPad!

Thank you both for confirming that - this would perhaps explain why I am unable to replicate this on my 2018 iPad model.

I'm getting this logged with our developers now for further testing & a fix, as they should have access to this newer device for replication.

Many thanks for your reports :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

@Shazlipz, Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

Just for consistency with the development report, can you please confirm for me - are you using the same camera model as @omimanav (Nikon D800), or a different one please? 

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, JulienTaming said:

I have the same issue on a Macbook Air M2, but the square is in the top left corner! Same size, on a Nikon Z6! Really annoying! Maybe a M1/M2 issue??

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

As you're using a different machine and OS, and (this much later) presumably a different version of the program, and a different camera, it would be better if you started a new topic and gave a complete description of machine, OS, application version, etc. along with screenshots of what you're seeing.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1