You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug in Publisher Version 1.9.1.977 The Font Cannot load Correctly

I repot another seems like a bug in Affinity Publisher version 1.9.1.979 that the Fonts cannot load correctly for i.e when I selected the Batavia Font in Publisher then the this font was wrong like figure of another font, as per screen shot attached. I have check with Microsoft Word type with Batavia Font and it is correct what the figure should it also when I check in the Directory of Windows Font also correct it.

Please advise how to resolve it as I found this bug in Affinity Designer perhaps  also in Affinity Photo with the same version and also in new Betta version 1.9.2.1006

Awaiting the advise.

Thanks & B/regar

*In Affinity Publisher ver. 19.1.979

Wrong Load the Font in Publisher.jpg

In Microsoft Word

In Microsoft Word.jpg

*In Windows Fonts Folder

The List of Fonts.jpg

*In Affinity Publisher version 1.9.2.1006

Wrong Load in Publisher 1.9.2.1006.jpg

The font is defective.
I found a few different versions of this font out in the ether.
All are conversions of some old font. This appears to be pre-Unicode.
The one you appear to have, where the font name is in all caps (BATAVIA), is defective.
The characters/glyphs in the font are all assigned Unicode code points up in the PUA (Private Use Area).
Since none of the characters are assigned to the correct code points, what you are seeing is a replacement font.
APub sees that all the characters you typed do not appear in the font, and does replacements for the missing characters.

I did find a couple versions of the font which do appear to be usable.
So I made a few fixes and renamed them to BataviaAF. Download 7z file below.
They appear to be working fine in APub.

BataviaAF.thumb.png.c0eda73a62abaf95edc874a3a87846bf.png

BataviaAF.7z

Note: I did not test these extensively so there may be other issues with the original fonts.
If you find something and it is an easy fix let me know and I can do an update.

EDIT: I noticed the original broken font is a little narrower than the one above.
So I am looking at converting it properly and adding it to the "family."

EDIT again: OK. The original looks like it could be "Regular" and another one could be the Bold.
I used the glyph names to apply the correct Unicode codes to make the Regular from the font you are using.
Changed the bolder one to Bold.
Made the wider one a SemiExpanded.
Fixed a bunch of wrong Unicode codes in all of them.
Keep in mind these fonts are messy old conversions that have been modified by multiple people probably.
Someone added a bunch of characters/glyphs from another font to fill-in the blanks - those characters do not match.
May be usable for what you are doing if all you need is basic Latin, numbers, etc.

5 hours ago, LibreTraining said:

The font is defective.
I found a few different versions of this font out in the ether.
All are conversions of some old font. This appears to be pre-Unicode.
The one you appear to have, where the font name is in all caps (BATAVIA), is defective.
The characters/glyphs in the font are all assigned Unicode code points up in the PUA (Private Use Area).
Since none of the characters are assigned to the correct code points, what you are seeing is a replacement font.
APub sees that all the characters you typed do not appear in the font, and does replacements for the missing characters.

I did find a couple versions of the font which do appear to be usable.
So I made a few fixes and renamed them to BataviaAF. Download 7z file below.
They appear to be working fine in APub.

BataviaAF.thumb.png.c0eda73a62abaf95edc874a3a87846bf.png

BataviaAF.7z 76.27 kB · 1 download

Note: I did not test these extensively so there may be other issues with the original fonts.
If you find something and it is an easy fix let me know and I can do an update.

EDIT: I noticed the original broken font is a little narrower than the one above.
So I am looking at converting it properly and adding it to the "family."

EDIT again: OK. The original looks like it could be "Regular" and another one could be the Bold.
I used the glyph names to apply the correct Unicode codes to make the Regular from the font you are using.
Changed the bolder one to Bold.
Made the wider one a SemiExpanded.
Fixed a bunch of wrong Unicode codes in all of them.
Keep in mind these fonts are messy old conversions that have been modified by multiple people probably.
Someone added a bunch of characters/glyphs from another font to fill-in the blanks - those characters do not match.
May be usable for what you are doing if all you need is basic Latin, numbers, etc.

Thanks LibreTraining for your advise and your share the source of the font installer, however I still have a question I get the source from another program from another person who is working with Adobe InDesign as per screen shot attached, why the Batavia font can load well as well as in CorelDraw?.  🙄

Awaiting the reply.

Best regards & have a nice blessed Sunday.

With Adobe InDesign.jpg

With CorelDraw.jpg

17 minutes ago, HANDJOJO said:

Thanks LibreTraining for your advise and your share the source of the font installer, however I still have a question I get the source from another program from another person who is working with Adobe InDesign as per screen shot attached, why the Batavia font can load well as well as in CorelDraw?.  

Those apps may be loading the font as an old pre-Unicode font.

I am guessing what font you actually have based on what I have seen happen with the fonts I found.

Please provide the actual font you have installed and tested in APub.

9 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

I am guessing what font you actually have based on what I have seen happen with the fonts I found.

Ok, I send the APub file package through a Google Drive link below: 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1dNd8tF6aSIQ49Tx-10_fxWDztYADQpw1?usp=sharing

*Screenshot in Affinity Publisher ver. 1.9.2.979.

image.thumb.png.4bd5e8e8c794b2137b20f512f3be7819.png

2 hours ago, LibreTraining said:

I just delete the existing Batavia font and Install with the your given font and looks ok, as attached.

Thanks

image.png

13 hours ago, LibreTraining said:

The font is defective.

To my surprise, I found that same defective font on my Win 10 PC. Rather, I found a font named BATAVIA that acts very oddly, as described in this thread.

The font licensing info says "Copyright (c) 1996 enStep Incorporated. All Rights Reserved" though I have no idea who might have modified it after that. But if two random people have it on their system it seems like it might be fairly common in the Windows world.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

The font licensing info says "Copyright (c) 1996 enStep Incorporated. All Rights Reserved" though I have no idea who might have modified it after that.

I think enStep was one of those companies back then which were mass converting older T1 fonts to TrueType and selling them in big font libraries. Which would explain why I found multiple versions out there on multiple font sites, and why you even have one.

@HANDJOJO - got the font. Will take a look later (on my phone at the moment).

@walt.farrell - could you please attach the font you have too. Like to see it. Thanks.

@HANDJOJO - the font you provided is the same font I found. It is definitely broken.

I did look at it some more and determined it is a pre-Unicode font, but even that was not done correctly.
There are no code pages set in the font (the way it was done before Unicode).

So I have no idea how these other apps are displaying the font.
My guess is that they are making certain assumptions (guesses) and displaying it that way.

Affinity apps expect fonts to be properly constructed to modern standards.
The "fixed" fonts will work in Affinity apps.

7 hours ago, LibreTraining said:

could you please attach the font you have too. Like to see it. Thanks.

54 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

So I have no idea how these other apps are displaying the font.
My guess is that they are making certain assumptions (guesses) and displaying it that way.

For what it's worth, High Logic Font Creator doesnt seem to have any issues recognizing the what the characters should be.

Here's my copy:

BATAVIA_.TTF

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

For what it's worth, High Logic Font Creator doesnt seem to have any issues recognizing the what the characters should be.

The first screenshot below is your font opened in FontCreator sorted by Code-point and with the captions set to Code-points.
Note the odd code points displayed for the characters.
And on the left how it says: All Symbols  231
Also note that on the left there are no Unicode blocks displayed.
Next take a look at: Tools > Convert Font > Convert to Unicode Font  (which would be grayed-out if it already was a Unicode font).
Click that and watch all the code points displayed change to the correct Unicode code points.
It is making that change based on the glyph names.
Also note that now the Unicode code blocks appear on the left. (see second image below)
Most of the glyph names are OK, but I had to fix quite a few.
Did it in FontLab as it was easier there.
Then export as an actual Unicode TTF font.
🙂

Original:

Batavia-in-FontCreator.thumb.png.c2e37cd2b6fcb08e0847efa0e6be47ff.png

Converted to Unicode - now it should look like this:

Batavia-in-FontCreator-converted-to-Unicode.thumb.png.4acf189d9c228fd39c6eaf6f81dbb459.png

Also, your font is the same one he has.

5 hours ago, LibreTraining said:

The first screenshot below is your font opened in FontCreator sorted by Code-point and with the captions set to Code-points.
Note the odd code points displayed for the characters.
And on the left how it says: All Symbols  231
Also note that on the left there are no Unicode blocks displayed.
Next take a look at: Tools > Convert Font > Convert to Unicode Font  (which would be grayed-out if it already was a Unicode font).
Click that and watch all the code points displayed change to the correct Unicode code points.
It is making that change based on the glyph names.
Also note that now the Unicode code blocks appear on the left. (see second image below)
Most of the glyph names are OK, but I had to fix quite a few.
Did it in FontLab as it was easier there.
Then export as an actual Unicode TTF font.
🙂

Original:

Batavia-in-FontCreator.thumb.png.c2e37cd2b6fcb08e0847efa0e6be47ff.png

Converted to Unicode - now it should look like this:

Batavia-in-FontCreator-converted-to-Unicode.thumb.png.4acf189d9c228fd39c6eaf6f81dbb459.png

Also, your font is the same one he has.

Thanks All, awesome explanation and It was very interesting to find out and now clearly answered the cause, although it still leaves why others can read correctly on the same operating system.