You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush keeps changing when switching between tools

This is in both mac and windows latest versions. If you select a brush, then draw with the brush tool, then choose just about ANY other tool (e.g. eraser, clone, hand tool, etc.), then go back to the brush tool and draw again, the brush stroke now appears very different. I'm not sure if it's correct before or after the tool swap, but it's certainly different, especially with noticeable with e.g. Dry Media brushes. See attached image for what I mean, each pair of strokes is done with a single brush, but just switching to the hand tool and back to the brush tool between each stroke changes its appearance dramatically. This was with a mouse on the mac, but it also happens with a tablet on the mac, and also on a windows pen tablet pc.

I'm still struggling to find a basic drawing program that just works reasonably well, and Photo is pretty close but this is a total show-stopper. Amazingly I have now discovered that the free Krita appears to be the very best behaved drawing program around is almost usable! The eraser pen nib works, you can configure all the shortcuts and modifiers to your taste, it manages to both zoom and pan with my tablet's touch input, it doesn't seem to crash yet, it's pretty fast, it has a liquify tool, and a decent brush engine that works consistently, etc.

EDIT: Actually Krita just crashed, *sigh*.

Cheers, Jules

affinity_photo_brush_bug.jpg

Edited by jclounge
Krita crashed so I can no longer say it didn't yet.

• Staff

Hey jclounge,

Wet Edges is being knocked off when you switch tools. Keep an eye on the context toolbar when you switch between say the Paint Brush Tool and Erase Brush Tool.

I think this is a bug and we've got a few different reports logged against this. I'm going to go give them all a kick.