You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Very slow performance

I'm getting really slow performance in a file which has a lot of layers (its basically a bunch of assets with lots of layers making up each one). The file is around 3k x 8k (resized from 1.5k x 4k) pixels in total, but a lot of that is empty space. There are approx 100 assets each with about 6-10 pixel layers and 4 adjustment layers.

Zoom and pan seems to work, but the screen takes ages to refresh beyond a blurry mess. Weirdly when I zoom and pan I often see parts of image showing as if they were from several actions ago... eg if I have moved something it will appear in the old position until the screen is fully refreshed when it will suddenly snap back to its adjusted position.

I am just now trying to save it after the resize (which again took ages, like nearly an hour) and it has so far been half an hour and its still nowhere near done. 

Is this really just my machine performance not being great? I'm running  on:
i5-8500 CPU @ 3.00GHz   3.00 GH
32GB RAM
Geforce 1060 (6GB - drivers up to date and using studio version).
1TB M2 SSD system disk (also set as my pagefile disk, with over 300GB free)
1TB SSD document drive

• Staff

Hey Alex W,

Doy ou also have a bunch of live filter layers/adjustments? If so, you might want to try and hide them for now. When you have the live filters on, they are being redrawn whenever you zoom. If you want, I can take a look at the file and try it on a low-end AMD machine and a high-end Nvidia machine.

I've made you a private folder - https://www.dropbox.com/request/cjNIm9QVwnctYsJW6XIi

I'm just uploading now. I had to ditch the upscaled version in the end. It did finally save, but it was just a portion of the 10mb file I've uploaded, yet scaling it up by 200% ballooned the file to 3.5gb! Which might explain why it took over two hours to save.

I still have the same problems with the original file I have uploaded. I also have a weird issue where rasterising a large number of the grouped assets (rasterising the group for that one asset) changes the way it looks, sometimes drastically. It seems to get more blurred, as if the image had been shifted by a fraction of a pixel.

So this is pretty weird. Following the above I've noticed that if I rasterise a group, it can go really screwy, blurring and sometimes darkening areas of the asset. However if I use rasterise and trim it works fine!

• Staff

That file doesn't even render the contents of the canvas for me. Upon expanding the layers I got a crash which lead to my Google Chrome being completely unresponsive!

So I can't actually disect the file. I might just pass it to the developers along with the crash report. I think your best bet might be to keep the layers you aren't working on hidden (for now).

The rendering issue might be related to Live Filters. These should be viewed at 100% before you rasterise/merge etc. I can't say for sure though as the document isn't rendering for me.