You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Smudge tool only works in patterns?

krit

I'm using version 1.9.1 on mac OS Big Sur and can reproduce this bug on any new document or any document I open. Basically, the smudge tool only works on certain pixels on the document in the form of stripes. the bigger the document, the smaller the stripes. I do use a drawing tablet with my macbook, but this bug still happens when I unplug it. I have two images of different sizes where I use the paint tool to put a bunch of colours on a pixel layer and then used the smudge tool all over so it shows the stripe pattern. This bug only appeared yesterday and I have not changed anything recently that I can think of.

smudge.problem.jpg

smudge.problem.smaller.document.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forums @krit,

14 hours ago, krit said:

have two images of different sizes where I use the paint tool to put a bunch of colours on a pixel layer

What do you mean by the "paint tool"

14 hours ago, krit said:

the bigger the document, the smaller the stripes.

What size Brush are you using?

Have you looked to see if the context toolbar has settings which may affect the smudge brush? 

669884559_ScreenShot2021-03-06at9_15_43AM.png.5fa1e0afdd6f1e7263fbdda3984b023a.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hi, 

Sorry. The contents if the document are not important because this happens with anything. I've attached a screen recording to hopefully make this make more sense. In the video, I open a photo and try to use the smudge tool then I adjust the strength but it doesn't solve the fact that it leaves certain pixels unaffected. This happens with any brush size.

thanks

Set the strength to something lower than 100% if you are going to start from outside the canvas, you are taking 100% of 'nothing' and smudging it across the canvas. Or try a brush with some blur in it.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

Which brush are you using? I get good results with a basic brush that has a hard edge.

Now that you mentioned brushes, i figured out the issue. The problem was that i had accidentally selected a brush from a downloaded set of brushes that are meant for photoshop and not affinity (so the brush was buggy) sorry. my mistake. thanks