You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copying masks to other layers

In Affinity Photo, how do I copy a mask (made with brushes or pen tool) to another layer?

For example, if I use the brush tools to isolate an area of an image, I have presumably created a brush mask.  How do I copy that brush mask onto, for example, an adjustment layer and once I've done that, how do I invert the mask (from mask to stencil or visa-versa)?

Grumpy, but faithful (watch out all you cats)

• Staff

Hi GFS,

If you have a pixel selection active, adding an Adjustment layer or Live filter will automatically use it as a mask. You may need to expand the image layer on the Layers panel to see the nested Adjustment or Live filter clicking on the arrow near the thumbnail. Adjustments, Masks and Live filters may be nested or not depending on how you have set up the Assistant (menu View ▸ Assistant Manager...).

To invert a mask, select it on the Layers panel and press ⌘ (cmd) + I (make sure there's no pixel selection active).

Thanks MEB.

When I try to do this, I'm not getting my brush mask copied, only the 'rectangular' mask that is part of the inserted image layer.  How do I copy a brushed mask from one layer to another?

Grumpy, but faithful (watch out all you cats)