You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I map pressure curve to line?

Hi,

I have a line (vector curve) with a pressure curve. It was created using a tablet. Now I want to split the curve into multiple segments. If I do, both segments keep the full pressure curve of the original shape, completely changing the look. How to I map the pressure curve to the vector so that the pressure curve will split with the vector?

Hi Mixterio!

I'm not sure if this will work as you imagine. There are two sorts of pressure curves. The first one is the solid brush curve. Those brush strokes are completely based on vectors. But their looks are simple. The other pressure curves only use vectors to align pixel textured brushes to a curve (path). In this case, the curve is only a stroke in the middle of the stroke.

Solid brush strokes can be expanded, so that  it's outline becomes the curve. You can do that in the layer-menu by clicking on "Expand Stroke" The stroke must be selected for that). This makes the brush strokes become a shape that you can cut or combine with boolian operations or by breaking or closing the curve at nodes with the Action-Buttons. But this will not work with the pixelbased ones. This ones you can only cut wiith the eraser or selection tools in the Pixel Persona, if you want them to keep their texture as it is.

On 2/24/2021 at 12:09 AM, iconoclast said:

Hi Mixterio!

I'm not sure if this will work as you imagine. There are two sorts of pressure curves. The first one is the solid brush curve. Those brush strokes are completely based on vectors. But their looks are simple. The other pressure curves only use vectors to align pixel textured brushes to a curve (path). In this case, the curve is only a stroke in the middle of the stroke.

Solid brush strokes can be expanded, so that  it's outline becomes the curve. You can do that in the layer-menu by clicking on "Expand Stroke" The stroke must be selected for that). This makes the brush strokes become a shape that you can cut or combine with boolian operations or by breaking or closing the curve at nodes with the Action-Buttons. But this will not work with the pixelbased ones. This ones you can only cut wiith the eraser or selection tools in the Pixel Persona, if you want them to keep their texture as it is.

Hi iconoclast

Thanks for the reply. My curve is a solid brush stroke, and I can expand it. It works, but doesn't keep the object as a curve obviously. If it's the only way I'll make do, but it seems to me as if there should be a way to keep it as a curve.

7 minutes ago, Mixterio said:

it seems to me as if there should be a way to keep it as a curve

The thing is, you’ve only set up one pressure profile but you’re asking the app to extract parts of it and apply one of those parts to each of several curves. As it stands, the Affinity apps can’t even tell us the length of a curve that isn’t a straight line, so it’s hard to see how they could equitably split up the specified profile to achieve the result you’re looking for.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

52 minutes ago, Alfred said:

The thing is, you’ve only set up one pressure profile but you’re asking the app to extract parts of it and apply one of those parts to each of several curves. As it stands, the Affinity apps can’t even tell us the length of a curve that isn’t a straight line, so it’s hard to see how they could equitably split up the specified profile to achieve the result you’re looking for.

Well it's more like I drew a line with a tablet. Maybe the app should handle pressure differently, but what do I know.

Edited by Mixterio

5 minutes ago, Mixterio said:

Well it's more like I drew a line with a tablet.

OK, so the app automatically set up a pressure profile for you, basing it on the line that you drew. But my argument still stands.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)