You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

levels adjustments sliders work backwards

Hi Steve,

the levels adjustment has 2 sets of sliders:

The "Black level" and "White Level" increase contrast. If you move the "white level" to the left, the image gets brighter.

If you use the lower "Output white level", the image gets darker.

I hope this helps.

image.png.d16e0300a99beb05f975d00881f82113.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

While I thank you for your response, I have been using AP for nearly 2 years and use levels adjustments on everything I do. This isn't working like it did before the 1.9 update. See the second slider down? Moving that left has always decreased the white level, not make it brighter. The gamma slider is a global adjustment that effects the black level too. The top slider, black level, seems to work correctly but not the white level slider. 

43 minutes ago, Steve007 said:

I have tried several different images and it seems when I go to use a levels adjustment to lower the brightness of an imagine, it gets brighter. I haven't checked any of  the other types of adjustments but this one is broken on my program. 

It's working fine for me, in RGB. Are you perhaps working in a CMYK document, instead?

A CMYK document works in the opposite way for me.

I don't know if that's a change, but I recall seeing comments before 1.9 about adjustments in CMYK documents working "backward", theorized as being due to CMYK being a subtractive color mode, rather than an additive mode like RGB.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It's working fine for me, in RGB. Are you perhaps working in a CMYK document, instead?

A CMYK document works in the opposite way for me.

I don't know if that's a change, but I recall seeing comments before 1.9 about adjustments in CMYK documents working "backward", theorized as being due to CMYK being a subtractive color mode, rather than an additive mode like RGB.

That could be the issue, I hope. I will pull up a project and check if anything has changed in the color format being used. I have never had an issue with any update before but along with this issue, lagging and freezing has been coming and going. My pc has plenty of horsepower to run anything I throw at it and has been great for the last several versions of AP. This update needs a patch or two I am thinking. Thank you so much for your reply, I will dig a bit further. Have a great week.

You're welcome :)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

15 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You're welcome :)

I might be losing my mind with this issue. I was in rgb, switched to cmyk and the white level does lower the brightness but crushes the blacks. In rgb the black level seems to work correctly but of course the white level is backwards and adds white the lower percentage I go. It looks like I will need to make adjustments in two steps now. I want my 1.8 back. Any thoughts?

22 minutes ago, Steve007 said:

Any thoughts?

Give us a sample document that demonstrates the issue, and see how it works for us, or if we can figure out something odd about your document?

-- Walt
PC:

19 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Give us a sample document that demonstrates the issue, and see how it works for us, or if we can figure out something odd about your document?

I am not sure how I could explain with an image. The whole levels adjustment is just feeling wrong. RGB the black slider darkens the image when moved right but the white slider, that is at 100% to start with adds white and blows out an image with little adjustment. In CMYK, the opposite happens. The white slider reduces the white but effects the black as well, like using the gamma slider instead of adjusting the white level. I am holding my breath for some sort of patch or maybe have someone else that knows what I am saying speak up. Very strange as I have used a levels adjustment on every project I have created for over 2 yrs with no issues. I have a few work arounds I am trying out but so far, it just isn't the same. I even fired up PS to see how my image reacted to that program and it worked as intended. No clue what changed other than it is just not working like before. If this is working as intended, then I will have to change back over to PS unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Steve007 said:

I am not sure how I could explain with an image.

I'm not asking you for an explanation, just an .afphoto file that behaves as you describe.

-- Walt
PC:

18 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm not asking you for an explanation, just an .afphoto file that behaves as you describe.

I will make it easy on you. Just open the stock tab and pull any image of your choice and make a levels adjustment. If you think it's the same then it must be something on my end. If you don't see an issue, no need to respond.