You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AF version 1.9.0 Remove Background Filter is finicky

Thank you for the many improvements in this version.

The Astrophotography stacking works quite well.

Unfortunately, using the subject filter is quirky and unpredictable.

When more than one circle ids used, you cannot tell what to expect as a resulting background removal.

This could possibly be a bug, but with little information on using it, it is hard to determine if it is a bug.

I did view the video tutorial, but he glossed over that filter. He only used one circle for his work.

Maybe a short video tutorial for that filter, showing more specifics/examples on gradient removal, would help.

Then we can post our comments with better details.

Stay well, and keep up the great work on AF.

Fivel

Aloha.  I'm having an issue with the background removal tool via the Astrophotography filter.  I used the astro stacking option and stacked a small set of Sony A7 iii raw images.  The stack test is included here.  My issue is that contrary to what is shown in the tutorials, when I click "sample" in the filter, nothing happens.  Any help will be appreciated since I think this would be a great feature for me moving forward.Aloha.  I'm having an issue with the background removal tool via the Astrophotography filter.  I used the astro stacking option and stacked a small set of Sony A7 iii raw images.  The stack test is included here.  My issue is that contrary to what is shown in the tutorials, when I click "sample" in the filter, nothing happens.  Any help will be appreciated since I think this would be a great feature for me moving forward.

No_Change_After_Sample.afphoto

Performance_Settings.afphoto

Pre_Sample.afphoto

Astrophotgraphy_Stack_Test_v1.afphoto

• Staff

Hey @one2gr82c, your screenshot confirms the same issue: you must use the filter on a pixel layer (you're currently trying to apply it to an adjustment layer). Have you watched the tutorials? Generally, you should do a Merge Visible after the initial tone stretching to create a merged, tone-stretched pixel layer, then apply the Remove Background filter to that layer.

Something like this:

Screenshot 2021-02-25 at 10.16.45.jpg

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials