You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tooltip messages are hidden by the mouse pointer

ssr

Hi,

When I mouse over the leftside tool or any other tool, the tooltip message is truncated by the mouse pointer and thereby I'm unable to read the tool name.  When I use larger mouse pointer the tool name is mostly hidden by the mouse pointer.

Appreciate a fix for this.

2021-02-13 01_45_02-Affinity Photo.jpg

Welcome to the forums @ssr,

Yes I see that, however I use a smaller cursor/pointer so isn't a problem. However, trying this revealed something else, which is not a problem but a little odd. By mousing over the tools, starting at the top of the toolbar moving down, the tips are under the pointer. Reverse direction, from bottom to top, and the tip is below the pointer so doesn't get covered.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Thank you Ron. Is there a way I can make the text message appear bigger or above the tooltip. Actually, when I take screenshot the mouse pointer shrinks thereby revealing the text. Otherwise, the tooltip message hidden to the larger extent.

For me, the tip is always at the bottom whether I move from top or bottom. Not sure why.  I use Windows10.

There's no way I know of to change the tool tip behavior.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

10 hours ago, ssr said:

Is there a way I can make the text message appear bigger or above the tooltip

Tooltip size can be controlled via a Windows setting.

Which will also affect all other apps.

tooltip.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi Carl123,

Thanks. The solution worked.  But still the tooltip text is partly hidden by the mouse pointer. I think it is a windows level bug and may need to be fixed by Microsoft.

Thanks Carl and Ron for assisting.

7 hours ago, carl123 said:

Tooltip size can be controlled via a Windows setting.

Which will also affect all other apps.

tooltip.png

Can't get there from here. I've looked all over my Control Panel, Display settings, and the Changing the Text Size only section and drop-down menu are not to be found.

I'm on Windows 8.1 so may be different if you are Windows 10

This link for Windows 10 may help or someone on Windows 10 may be able to assist you better

https://winaero.com/tootip-text-size-windows-10-version-1703/

PS I don't know how old that link is so it may already have changed again

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thank you Carl. It's different on my Win10 Home box. Even the links, showing how to do this, in Win10, does not help. I don't have that Display>Change text size only. I know at one time I could change the size of tooltips, when and where it went is unknown to me. I'm quite computer literate, so I'm not stumbling around in the dark. Anyway that's why I posted that it's not possible to change, because on my setup it has been AWOL for sometime.

Thanks again Carl.