You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher deletes location settings, for linked image, when working with Affinity Photo Image

pyesley

I have found a repeatable bug with linked images in Publisher.  Here is the repeat steps.

1. First create an image in Affinity Photo
  2. Make a new Publisher file, link to the Photo file twice.  In each picture frame move to a different part of the image.  In Publisher, crop away the part of the image you are not using.  In my example I have 4 hats.  I crop out all but 1 hat for each "picture frame" in Publisher.
  3. Close the Publisher document.
  4. Edit the Affinity Photo document, save and close
  5. Re-open the Publisher document.  The position and crop information has been reset.

Note, that if you do not crop the image this does not happen.  But in my case, I am working with a comic book, and I have many images on a single Affinity Photo file.  Cropping the images makes it easier to zoom-in and still control the handles of the image.  In other words I need to crop to get precise placement.

CropBug.png

What release of Publisher and of Photo?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hello Walt,

I am using:

Publisher: 1.9.0932

Photo: 1.9.0.932

I just updated.  And I don't recall having trouble like this before I updated.  Actually it, seems, it used to work quite well.  I would make modifications in the linked documents (photoshop) and the changes would appear in the publisher document.  It was all very nice.  I tried my "bug repeat" test with a photoshop file, (instead of Affinity Photo).  The photoshop file had the same problem.

Thanks for the added details.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi,

I've rolled back to

Publisher 1.8.5

Photo 1.8.5

The problem is not there.  The linked and crop features work as you expect.  Changes in the Photo file are imported into Publisher perfectly.  This bug is not in the 1.8.5 software.

-Peter