You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New Affinity Designer version does not export PSD slices correctly!

Hi Affinity community, since the latest version of Affinity Designer Windows, why does it export a whole document in layers when using slices and exporting as PSD?

And when you open the PSD file in Photopshop, it exports correct slices but with all the graphics from the whole document. The slice for PSD export does not work on layers!

Is this a bug or is this supposed to be a feature? In the previous versions were represented only the layers, what were marked via slices ...

affinity_designer_export.png

photoshop_psd_import.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @alexandrrr,

Welcome to the forums and my apologies for the delayed response here!

I have tested this here, using Affinity Designer 1.9 for Windows and PS 2020 on Mac. Please see my workflow below - 

• I created a new document with 3 quick shapes, then opened the Export Persona and created 3 slices, one for each layer.
  • I set each slice to use the same 'PSD (preserve accuracy)' preset shown in your screenshot, then exported these to 3 PSD documents.
  • I then sent one document to PS 2020 on my Mac, the file opened here and only 1 quick shape layer is visible, which is the correct shape I'm expecting to see.
  • To double check this, I reopened the PSD within Affinity Designer and this confirmed only 1 layer was available in this file.

image.png

p.png?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

I will attached a copy of this PSD also - slice1.psd

I'd like to test this using your .afdesign file as you appear to be seeing different results from myself - could you please upload this document to your reply for me?

Many thanks in advance!

I am not sure what is going on but with three quickly drawn shapes on an artboard (or not on an artboard) I cannot export my own handmade slices without including all the objects. This is true even if I convert them to curves, thought it may make a difference.

EDIT PNGs work fine. three objects export as three single objects.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Thanks for your file Alexandrrr, I believe Bruce has discovered the missing link between my document and yours -

16 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I cannot export my own handmade slices without including all the objects.

I re-created my file by hand drawing the slices, rather than creating them automatically based on the layers of the document.

These slices show the same bug that your document shows, and these objects certainly shouldn't be included when exporting.

I'll get this logged with our developers now, many thanks for your report :)