You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Setup Failed - Cannot Update to Affinity Photo 1.9

Hello,

Normally I run in to setup failed when trying to update Affinity Photo, that's nothing out of the blue. If I restart and try again that works.

But I simply can't get this latest 1.9 update to install no matter what I do. About halfway through the installation I get "setup failed."  I have restarted (full shutdown full startup) and tried running it as administrator. I've redownloaded the update thinking, potentially, it was corrupted. Nothing worked.

Perhaps its because I only have 2.04 gb free on my SSD? If that's the reason, I really wish the error message was not that vague. But I seem to remember being able to update with that little space left in the past. 

Unfortunately it is impossible for me to free up any space. I have several programs that I absolutely need and, yet, they simply don't have the option to install on another drive (*cough* this included Affinity Photo, potential feature request here *cough*). I really hope 2gb is enough to install an update. 

Ryzen 5 1600, 24GB RAM, GTX 970 4gb, 128gb SSD for main drive (+500gb nvme +  300gb hdd + 1tb hdd  as well). 

7 hours ago, HuniSenpai said:

I have several programs that I absolutely need and, yet, they simply don't have the option to install on another drive (*cough* this included Affinity Photo, potential feature request here *cough*).

When you first install Affinity Photo, at least if you purchased from Serif, you have the option of where to install. After that, updates go to the same drive you chose initially.

(Unfortunately, however, some items still go on C unless you have played some games configuring Windows to move them. The main program files can be directed to another drive, but some go into the Windows ProgramData folder on C, and a bunch go into the user's AppData folder (also placed by Windows on C).

But that doesn't help solve your problem. For that, take a look at the FAQ below, and start with the one for Setup Failed. The SetupUI.log file probably has more information to explain the issue.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1