You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity apps excruciatingly slow to open/start

ASTJ

• 2 weeks later...

Same here. The app takes almost half a minute to launch since the latest app update. I had hoped that maybe the most recent macOS update would fix this, but no joy.

• Affinity 1.9.1
  • I did restart the Mac a number of times
  • Doesn't matter if I launch Affinity by double-clicking on an Affinity file, or just launch the app via Alfred. It's slow either way
  • I tried what @kai2 suggested, but in my case Affinity already had Full Disc Access

1069774976_ScreenShot2021-03-13at19_38_09.png.979206068bc8fc51f1ca0f9a39c1c4f7.png

I have exactly the same issue, i have upgraded to a 2019 iMac from an old 2011 machine that was running El Capitan  The new mac is running Catalina and Affinity is not almost unusable , it is expreamlt slow to open and very very slow when trying to do any editing.  I am so disappointed as I thought the new machine would be faster, Im thinking of throwing the whole thing away.

On 3/5/2021 at 2:47 PM, kai2 said:

I have found a solution for me: I looked in the security settings and saw that AF did not have full hard disk access. After activating, AF starts normally again (macOs Catalina).

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-05 um 15.39.05.jpg

Not sure what you are referring to, please explain

On 2/5/2021 at 11:59 AM, Chris B said:

Hello everyone. 

Development are aware of this but as far as I know, we aren't sure what causes it specifically.

Running up after a restart can be slow but closing the app and restarting is usually faster. The restart is often the key here.

When QA were trying to find a workaround, we sometimes found duplicating the app sometimes worked but it's not ideal :( 

I find it extremely slow both from new start after turning on the computer or on restart after shutting down the app, it is just unusable at the moment.

On 2/23/2021 at 9:45 PM, ASTJ said:

I have an update which I think may help - it has led to a significant improvement for me anyway!

As suspected, it appears to be Apple's fault!

Try this:

- System prefs > Siri > Siri Suggestions & Privacy and then uncheck both the options for ALL apps

- System prefs > Apple ID > iCloud > iCloud Drive > Remove ALL apps

MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT!

Unless it is just unrelated and is connected to Apple's dialing home (whenever anyone opens an app on their Mac 😡) being down or something.

Unfortunately this did nothing for the speed on my mac

7 hours ago, StuartM said:

Has anyone tried delaying the app altogether and uninstalling it, Im at my wits end with this

Have you tried the workaround where you copy the app out of applications to another location.
Then you move that copy to the applications folder and replace the original.

Once I did that, startup times went from 20-30secs to 2-5 seconds. 
Something seems to get messed up when the App Store installs the app and this copy/replace process clears it up.

I did see the note from Affinity Dev saying that they have found the cause and hope to have the fix in 1.9.2 so hopefully we won't need these kinds of workarounds much longer.