You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Place not updating image live

I have an image of a product in Affinity Photo. In Affinity Designer I have a product label, where each layer of the file is a different variation of the product.

I have used the Place feature in Photo to embed the Designer file and skew it to look like it's on the product itself.

When I switch layers (one of 8 will be visible, the others are all unchecked) in the Designer program and save, it does not update the image in the Affinity file.

Am I missing a step or does this function not work like I believe it does?

Thanks!

Hi DrCobraMd,

and welcome here …  :)

I believe what you are looking for are linked documents. Changes made to the Designer document are reflected on the Photo file that links to it. But unfortunately linked files are not supported at the moment. When you place your Designer file in a Photo document, it looses its connection to the original file and won’t update when the original is changed. Linked documents were requested a couple of times in the past and promised for the future, for example here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/13072-linked-graphics/

Hope that helps …  :)

Cheers, Alex

You can, however, edit the embedded and placed document, and access all the layers and objects, within any Affinity app. Just double-click on the placed file (in the canvas, not the Layers palette) and it will open up in another window. You can then edit the placed file independently of the entire composition, albeit in the same app (for now...)

Hi DrCobraMd,

and welcome here …  :)

I believe what you are looking for are linked documents. Changes made to the Designer document are reflected on the Photo file that links to it. But unfortunately linked files are not supported at the moment. When you place your Designer file in a Photo document, it looses its connection to the original file and won’t update when the original is changed. Linked documents were requested a couple of times in the past and promised for the future, for example here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/13072-linked-graphics/

Hope that helps …  :)

Cheers, Alex

I have an image of a product in Affinity Photo. In Affinity Designer I have a product label, where each layer of the file is a different variation of the product.

I have used the Place feature in Photo to embed the Designer file and skew it to look like it's on the product itself.

When I switch layers (one of 8 will be visible, the others are all unchecked) in the Designer program and save, it does not update the image in the Affinity file.

Am I missing a step or does this function not work like I believe it does?

Thanks!

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17