You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo sometimes unexpectedly slow

Hello dear Photo users,

after searching on the Affinity Photo Help (and discovering some other issues) and not quickly finding anything to it:

Sometimes Affinity Photo appears to become slower, much slower than expected. Long time waiting for a simple "move" transformation of two layers, i.e., I'm suspecting the settings I chose are inadequate. Quitting and restarting the app usually helps - but is slowing down the work and not a good idea for the turnaround from Aperture to Photo and back.

So, what slows down Photo? How should I set up those settings for OS 10.10.5, 27" iMac 2.8 GHz i5 (mid 2010) and 12 GB RAM, Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB? Is there a simple way to empty the protocol? I guess, 1024 steps undo was a bit too much on my old but otherwise sufficient Mac. I use Aperture, C1, Sigma PhotoPro; at times two of them parallel to Photo and there are still 3-4 GB free RAM

Maybe I am experiencing the same effect.

When I am editing a photo, then after some time the RBBoD (Rotating Beach Ball of Death) appears and AP is obviously starting file IO as far as I can see, because everything else on the Mac is still running smoothly. This occurs even when I haven't done much. Sometimes it is annoying, when I simply want to change a little thing in an image. After some time AP comes back and reacts normally.

... so, I am interested in more information as well.

Cheers

Frank

• Staff

Hi Joju,

Please could you advise as to what Performance settings you are using in the Preferences menu? To access this please go to Affinity Photo > Preferences > Performance. Thanks :)

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.