You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

coloring question

Hi! I draw black and white images with a pen and paper, photograph them, then import them into Affinity and color them in. Normally I use the color picker dropper to choose a color from an original source image (as you can see from the attachment, i have chosen this dark green from the original image top center) and then I color in my drawing. I want the color I pick to be the exact color I draw with regardless of how dark or light the b/w image is. I’ve been using this app since april 2019, and it has always worked that way. Suddenly, now as you can see the green color at the top that i drew is dark and at the bottom is not the same, it’s lighter. I tried deleting the app because I thought maybe I turned on some kind of blending mode by accident and it is still doing this. Please help. Thank-you very much, Ned

B52AEFCA-4CB6-4486-B7EA-165BC0643490.png

1 hour ago, Wosven said:

In fact, it's the same colour, but since the top background is lighter than the bottom, you're having an optical illusion, and the colour seems  different.

This is a nice ‘real life’ variant of Adelson’s Checker Shadow Illusion. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks so much for the responses. Is there anything I can do to have consistent color regardless of the background? This image with red is exported and you can see that they are not the same. 

Is the only thing I can do to draw everything in with white first, then go back and color it in? If so, is there a way to take the original black and white image and make it be only pure black and white? I try to fiddle with the black and white settings, brightness and contrast, and shadows settings to get it evenly perfectly black and white and have mixed results. Thanks again for your help!!!

B9DC36BD-F0AE-449A-AC1F-55F2B6E7AE07.png

32325AD3-E429-4074-B68A-EA62E8D35D92.png

Edited by nedambler

1 hour ago, nedambler said:

Thanks so much for the responses. Is there anything I can do to have consistent color regardless of the background? This image with red is exported and you can see that they are not the same.

Once again, they are actually the same but the difference in contrast with different backgrounds makes them look as though they are not the same.

1 hour ago, nedambler said:

Is the only thing I can do to draw everything in with white first, then go back and color it in? If so, is there a way to take the original black and white image and make it be only pure black and white?

Try a Threshold Adjustment with a threshold value of about 25%.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)