You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When using the refine feature with selection and applying a mask the resulting mask is grayscaled. This might be nice for most cases, bot not in mine. Is there an option so the selection is 100% just the pixels which are shown in the UI? Best case would be an option to remove the Alpha of the selection or whatever causes this.

Or can I maybe apply a treshold to the mask layer?

Regards

• Staff

Hi @DonPenny,

Welcome to the forums :)

So that I can better understand your query here, could you please provide a screen recording showing the steps you're taking, and the unwanted result you're seeing?

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below - 

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Many thanks for that!

You don't need to use the Refine option after creating your selection, as this is adding a 10% border to your selection which is why you're seeing semi-transparency in the mask.

After creating your selection with the Selection Brush, simply click on the mask icon beneath the layers panel and this will generate a mask with a clean edge.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

4 hours ago, Dan C said:

Many thanks for that!

You don't need to use the Refine option after creating your selection, as this is adding a 10% border to your selection which is why you're seeing semi-transparency in the mask.

After creating your selection with the Selection Brush, simply click on the mask icon beneath the layers panel and this will generate a mask with a clean edge.

I hope this helps :)

Hey Dan,

first of all thank you for your answer! I would like to use the refine tool to round the edges, but as far as i can tell, with a border of 0% it does not work. Is there maybe a way to apply a treshold to the mask? This would work fine too I guess :)

Hi @DonPenny,

if you want a "perfect" mask with only 0 / 1, you have several options which might work better than "classical" masks:

1. Start with a new (empty) mask layer, and paint the mask using a sharp round brush (fill, opacity and hardness all set to 100%, color 100% white ).

2. Use a suitable vector shape with fill color set to white, atop you pixel layer. Then sent it to "mask to below"

3. Use the pen tool to create any shape you need. You may "convert to curves" a vector shape from step 2 for additional fine tuning.

Regards,

Timo

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• Staff
13 hours ago, DonPenny said:

first of all thank you for your answer! I would like to use the refine tool to round the edges, but as far as i can tell, with a border of 0% it does not work.

No problem at all, happy to help!

This depends on what you mean by 'round the edges' of your selection. If you're looking to simply make the selection smoother, try selecting 'Soft Edges' on the context toolbar before creating the selection with your selection brush. As can be seen from the mask created below, the left was selected without Soft Edges, the right was selected with it enabled - 

image.png

As you can see, the edges of the selection are slightly blurred, which provides a much softer edge to the selection.

Is this they type of thing you're looking for, or have I misunderstood your question here? :)

Please note -

Many thanks!