You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Very Slow - Big Documents

Hi everyone 

I hope someone can help me. 

I have created a 545 page digital planner. I have created the project mainly using the master pages and then simply duplicated the masters. There's a total of 14 master pages. 

I have started hyperlinking the master pages and noticed that publisher is extremely slow, to the point that I have to close it down as it becomes irresponsive.

I have worked on this project for months now and I am extremely frustrated as I cannot complete the hyperlinking which means that I won't be able to use the planner for the intended purpose. 

Even when I try to export the file, the software becomes extremely slow and simply irresponsive. 

Can someone shed some light and/or advise me on ways to fix the problem?

Thanks 

A couple;le of questions: What are you trying to do with the hyperlinks? Why are you hyperlinking the Master Pages instead of the actual Pages?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hi

I am trying to hyperlink the masters as the main body (if that makes sense) is simply a blank page with a designated master page (hope that makes sense). 

I have created a smaller digital planner to use on my ipad prior to this one and used the same method and it works. 

Once on my ipad, I can click on the planner tabs (hyperlinked page tab)  and it'll take me to my desired page. 

So on the Master Page A1 you have a link which will take you to Page 123 of 545 and another link which will take you to page 247 of 545 etc. Am I correct?

And Master Page B2 would have different Pages you will go to as would Master Page C3 and so on. Am I correct?

It should work so long as you have all the anchors set on Pages and didn't inadvertently set one in a Master Page.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

Yes, all master pages will be hyperlinked to specific pages if that makes sense. 

I have different elements in each page and I will hyperlink them individually so they're redirected to specific pages.

However, the problem is not the hyperlinking itself, the problem is that the software is very slow and it becomes irresponsive. 

And I have noticed that that happens whenever I create a project with several pages, it takes a long time to load and in this case becomes irresponsive. 

By the way, what do you mean by setting the anchors on the pages? I sorry I'm still new to publisher so I'm confused by that statement? I wanted to created hyperlinks to specific pages, how does setting anchors help in the process? 

50 minutes ago, Safia said:

By the way, what do you mean by setting the anchors on the pages? I sorry I'm still new to publisher so I'm confused by that statement? I wanted to created hyperlinks to specific pages, how does setting anchors help in the process? 

Sorry, vapour lock in my brain. Obviously you are linking to pages using the Page destination and not actually putting an Anchor on the Page.

• Staff

@Safia Have you noticed Publisher becoming slower just in general use of when you are doing something specific, like setting up/adding more hyperlinks?

Are you using Publisher on macOS or Windows?

Can you PM me a download link to your file and some information on your workflow and I can check on my system.

• 9 months later...

Apologies for the very late response! 

I have managed to correct the issue with the previous file however, I have noticed that when i create big files like over 400 pages the software becomes slow. 

This tends to happen when Im trying to add hyperlinks or accessing different master pages. And now, I cant seem to hyperlink at all. I have created different files and the software simply doesn't hyperlink anymore. 

I have another big file I'm working on, when I export the file some hyperlinks do not work or send me to the incorrect pages. 

I have checked all the hyperlinks while editing the file and they're correct so I don't understand why they get lost after being exported. 

I am exporting them as a digital pdf as I usually do. 

Does this mean that Publisher does not support hyperlinking anymore? 

Thanks 

Hi Safia,

I am also working on a digital planner, 700+ pages.  Hyperlinks in masters and on some pages.  My hyperlinks are working (the only ones that didn't were my fault, once corrected they function properly).  I am having similar issues with slowness and frequent crashing - very frustrating!  How did you solve the "slowness" issue?

Thanks,

Gayle

Hi Gayle 

To correct the slowness I went through preflight and checked all the errors and deleted any items that I had turned off in the layers panel and weren’t relevant to the the project. 

It took a while to be honest and lot of fidgeting around but it seemed to work in the end. 

Are you able to create new hyperlinks? Mine don’t seem to work at all, I even started a new file and added hyperlinks to it but nothing. 

Hi Safia,

Yes, as of yesterday (when I corrected some of my incorrect hyperlinks) I was still able to add them.  I probably have 1500+ page hyperlinks in this document, as well as one URL hyperlink on a master page. While I've been working on the document for about a month, all the hyperlinks have been added in the last week.

I'll check out preflight - I thought I had done a pretty thorough job of deleting unwanted/unneeded/unused items, but I'll take any help!

Forgot to mention:

also ended up reseting the app to factory settings before going through preflight. 

Before doing this just ensure that you save all assests/color palettes and upload them once done otherwise they'll be deleted. 

Saf.